Slow loading of Quicken

checkyourmirrors
checkyourmirrors Member ✭✭
When I open Quicken it can take a few minutes to load and prompt me with a password to complete the opening. I've seen this on the Windows board but not really on that Mac and it's not a Processor/Memory issue as I've got an I9 with 32Gb of memory and it happens with nothing else running. I do have the files on a OneDrive however they are locally cached and on opening, I don't see any syncing activity to indicate that is the problem. The file size is roughly 100Mb and I do have a number of attachments in some transactions.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    First, Quicken's default location is not stored on iCloud Drive, ever. Quicken's default location is in your User folder > Library > Application Support > Quicken.

(To access the Library in your User folder, in the Finder you must hold down the Option key while selecting the Go menu, otherwise it's invisible. If you want to make your User Library always visible, in the Finder navigate to your User folder — the one which shows Music, Movies, Pictures, etc. Pull down the View menu, and select Show View Options. In the panel which pops up, click  the checkbox next to Show Library Folder.)

That all said, there's nothing magic about Quicken's default location; you can use your own, as long as it's not a folder that's actually stored on iCloud or another cloud service. You can turn off iCloud Drive from storing your Desktop and Documents folders on iCloud, should you wish, in System Preferences. But if you like having iCloud store those folders, just pick a different location. The location I recommend is creating a Quicken folder — actually moving your existing Quicken folder to your User folder (e.g. the 
    one which shows Music, Movies, Pictures, etc.). This is an easy location to get to, and it's not stored on iCloud.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    When I open Quicken it can take a few minutes to load and prompt me with a password to complete the opening. I've seen this on the Windows board but not really on that Mac and it's not a Processor/Memory issue as I've got an I9 with 32Gb of memory and it happens with nothing else running. I do have the files on a OneDrive however they are locally cached and on opening, I don't see any syncing activity to indicate that is the problem. The file size is roughly 100Mb and I do have a number of attachments in some transactions.
    Hello @checkyourmirrors,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem with performance speed. I am thankful to you for reaching out to us regarding this problem and contributing to discussion of this issue here on the Quicken Community. 

You said that you have the files locally cached, but do you know, for certain, where the data file is located when it is active? This can be checked any time by going to File > Show "(File name will be shown here)" in Finder in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. I don't mean to harp too dissonantly on this point, but I have to be clear that historically, opening active data files from anywhere external to the device and it can be a problem. 

You may also try creating a new file on your MacHD by going to File > New in the same menu as the one mentioned before. Select Start from scratch when prompted and then attempt adding and updating your accounts to see if they are updating at a standard pace. You can do this by clicking on the Add Account button at the top left-hand corner of the Quicken window denoted by the '+' symbol and walking through the steps of entering your credentials and connecting to online banking services. Be sure to save this 'test' file to either the Documents folder or to some other location specific to the computer itself. I recommend then quitting Quicken and signing back in to observe the performance, as well.

You can also try signing in and out of the Quicken program from the Quicken option in the top menu.

Lastly, when did you last update your Quicken software?

I am eager to hear back from you about this, and look forward to working with you on this further.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • jacobs
    @checkyourmirrors I think having your file on OneDrive is the reason for the slowness. As an FYI, storing your data file on any cloud service rather than the local hard drive is not supported by Quicken and has been known to cause a wide array of problems for users. I strongly urge you to move your data file to your local drive; use OneDrive for storing your backups if you want, but not your live data file. 

I suspect that if you move your data file to a location not stored/synced with OneDrive, after opening, editing, and quitting Quicken, you will likely see the next launch time be much faster. (If you do that, please report back on the results.)
  • I had assumed when the files were not "on demand" the local copies would be used and hence Quicken wouldn't know the difference. Given that Mac standard locations are now part of iCloud Drive is that an issue as well? Meaning so I need to find a folder that is also excluded from Apple Cloud drives as well?
  • jacobs
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    First, Quicken's default location is not stored on iCloud Drive, ever. Quicken's default location is in your User folder > Library > Application Support > Quicken.

(To access the Library in your User folder, in the Finder you must hold down the Option key while selecting the Go menu, otherwise it's invisible. If you want to make your User Library always visible, in the Finder navigate to your User folder — the one which shows Music, Movies, Pictures, etc. Pull down the View menu, and select Show View Options. In the panel which pops up, click  the checkbox next to Show Library Folder.)

That all said, there's nothing magic about Quicken's default location; you can use your own, as long as it's not a folder that's actually stored on iCloud or another cloud service. You can turn off iCloud Drive from storing your Desktop and Documents folders on iCloud, should you wish, in System Preferences. But if you like having iCloud store those folders, just pick a different location. The location I recommend is creating a Quicken folder — actually moving your existing Quicken folder to your User folder (e.g. the 
    one which shows Music, Movies, Pictures, etc.). This is an easy location to get to, and it's not stored on iCloud.
  • I'm sure this is somewhat from legacy window folders and I had three sets of files we've been talking about. The bundle of quicken files which are in the ~/Library/Application Support/Quicken, the Automatic Backups, and the MainFile.quicken. For me ONLY the .quicken file was a cached OneDrive file. So I will move the .quicken file to a non ANY kinda Cloud service including Mac and move the Automatic Backup folder to the Cloud drive.
  • jacobs
    You mention "MainFile.quicken". I just wanted to clarify that that sounds like it's a Quicken file that you created at some point; it's not a filename that Quicken creates.  
This discussion has been closed.