How to Auto Start Quicken

shelquis
shelquis Member ✭✭✭
Hi. I've moved my Quicken (subscription version) to a new computer. In the past, I've had Quicken to start automatically at 6:30 PM, but I set that process up a number of years ago and I don't remember how I did this. When I check the Quicken tools and options, I see the Auto Update option. That's not what I want though. I want to schedule qw.exe to open at a specific time each weeknight. Would appreciate it if someone could tell me how I can do this. Thanks.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here's a link to a website that explains how to write such a "program" and then have it start at a specific time LINK.  I haven't tried following these instructions, so it is caveat emptor.

Good luck.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Windows has a Task Scheduler....  here are some random clippings -
    4 Ways to Open Task Scheduler on Windows 10 (isunshare.com)
    Click the lower-left Start button, enter schedule in the empty box and select Schedule tasks from the results.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    NotACPA said:
    By "Start at 6:30PM" do you actually mean that via "Scheduled Updates" you were able to have Q automatically do a download at that time ... or did the program open/start at that time and await your directions?
    My Q is set to automatically download at 6:30am,  so that I get the prior days transactions when I get to the computer.
    Hi NotACPA. No, I meant that, for years, I have had qw.exe be opened at 6:30 each evening, then I would run OSU and review all the downloads for acceptance into the register. I had never used Scheduled Updates, but I tried it this week and I think what I want to do is have Scheduled Updates run at 6:00 PM, then have qw.exe open at 6:30. That way I won't have to sit there waiting for OSU to run. It looks like Task Scheduler, a Windows utility, will successfully open qw.exe at a time I specify. So that's what I plan to try next week. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @shelquis,

There is no feature in Quicken that will have it start automatically at a certain time.  More likely, you probably had a cmd.exe file setup on your old machine.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here's a link to a website that explains how to write such a "program" and then have it start at a specific time LINK.  I haven't tried following these instructions, so it is caveat emptor.

Good luck.

Frankx

• shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Frankx. I haven't checked out your link yet, but I'll follow up on that. Appreciate your help.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By "Start at 6:30PM" do you actually mean that via "Scheduled Updates" you were able to have Q automatically do a download at that time ... or did the program open/start at that time and await your directions?
    My Q is set to automatically download at 6:30am,  so that I get the prior days transactions when I get to the computer.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Click the lower-left Start button, enter schedule in the empty box and select Schedule tasks from the results.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    NotACPA said:
    Hi NotACPA. No, I meant that, for years, I have had qw.exe be opened at 6:30 each evening, then I would run OSU and review all the downloads for acceptance into the register. I had never used Scheduled Updates, but I tried it this week and I think what I want to do is have Scheduled Updates run at 6:00 PM, then have qw.exe open at 6:30. That way I won't have to sit there waiting for OSU to run. It looks like Task Scheduler, a Windows utility, will successfully open qw.exe at a time I specify. So that's what I plan to try next week. Appreciate your help. Thanks.
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:

Hi Ps56k2. Wow, that windowsreport.com article is really thorough. Loved it. I haven't really tried anything sophisticated yet, but I did create a simple basic task using Task Scheduler just to open qw.exe at a specified time, and that went just fine, so I think Task Scheduler is the answer to my question. Thanks.  
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    By running OSU at 6pm, you're NOT getting today's transactions ... but rather yesterday's (or, to be more precise, the transactions for the immediately previous bank work day).
    The banks/cards/etc, in general, don't get finished posting to accounts until sometime in the wee hours of the mornings... which is why I run OSU at 6:30AM.
    At 6:00pm, some bank branches are still open ... so the bank can't post anything from that branch for the current day.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but I wouldn't get to it until evening anyway, so as long as i do it consistently I end up the same place, i.e a day late. (...and a dollar short?)
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    NotACPA, I should have also said Thanks.
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Frankx said:

Frankx. I've filed it away for future use, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's what's auto starting Quicken for me every weeknight. I am really perplexed. I can't figure out why Quicken is auto starting, except that I'm sure it's something I did years ago. Memory is a great thing when you have it. Frustrating when you don't. Appreciate your help. Thanks.
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    OK, tonight was the first night that I used Quicken's auto update to update transactions, balances and daily prices at 6:00 PM. Then I have set up a task in Task Scheduler to open Quicken at 6:30PM. That process worked tonight just like I envisioned. I really liked having Quicken open up with the updates already completed, just waiting for me to approve them for addition to the register. One improvement that I would like to make would be to avoid the manual input of the Q Vault password prior to the Scheduled Update. Does anyone have a suggestion for that? It seems like there should be some way to let the Scheduled Update read the Q Vault password without having to put it in every night. Ideas?
This discussion has been closed.