"Compare account portfolio after download" option missing in Quicken Mac

Options
jgleigh
jgleigh Member ✭✭
The Windows version has this option to prevent Quicken from automatically adding placeholder transactions when the online share count doesn't match the register. I can't seem to find this same feature anywhere in the Mac version so I get a placeholder transaction every time I download and would really like to prevent this from happening.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    If Quicken adds a placeholder every time you download, it's because the share count reported by your financial institution doesn't match the share count in your Quicken file. Do you delete the placeholder, and then it comes back? If so, it makes sense that it comes back because the same "fix" is needed to keep your Quicken data and brokerage data matching. Or are you saying that you don't touch the placeholder transaction Quicken adds, but the next time you download, it creates an additional one each time? 
    (The ultimate fix would likely be to create your own transaction somewhere back in time to create the missing shares and the cost basis for those shares; then Quicken wouldn't need a placeholder.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jgleigh
    jgleigh Member ✭✭
    Options
    I delete the placeholder and then it comes back. The issue is it's a placeholder for a bunch of bundled securities in a brokerage window attached to my 401k. I want to track the individual securities and not the bundled value.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    So it sounds like your brokerage is reporting to Quicken a bundled value, but you want to have the individual securities? Are you entering the individual security transactions manually, or are they downloading from the brokerage? Does the "bunch of bundled securities" come in as a security in Quicken, or a cash value?

It sounds like an issue you'd need to take up with the customer support/IT people at your brokerage to get them to fix what they are downloading to Quicken. But perhaps I'm not fully grasping what is happening. Can you post any screen shots (blocking out any account numbers or personal information) to illustrate what's going on?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jgleigh
    jgleigh Member ✭✭
    Options
    I entered the securities manually to account for what is contained in the bundle. Our provider (Alight) manages the 401k and the brokerage window on separate sites. The direct 401k transactions work correctly, but the brokerage window 'bundle' is where the issue is. It comes in as 1 share with a variable value as the underlying securities change value. Quicken sees this missing 1 share and tries to add it back. If the Mac version had the same option as the Windows version, I could prevent it from checking that the security is missing and thus prevent the placeholder from being added.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jgleigh said:
    I entered the securities manually to account for what is contained in the bundle. Our provider (Alight) manages the 401k and the brokerage window on separate sites. The direct 401k transactions work correctly, but the brokerage window 'bundle' is where the issue is. It comes in as 1 share with a variable value as the underlying securities change value. Quicken sees this missing 1 share and tries to add it back. If the Mac version had the same option as the Windows version, I could prevent it from checking that the security is missing and thus prevent the placeholder from being added.
    @jgleigh,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community for further discussion about this, and for your patience in seeking further information about the subject. I am sorry for any confusion you may have experienced.

Unfortunately, Quicken for Mac does not have an equivalent feature to the 'Compare account portfolio after download' provided in Quicken Windows. In this case, one option would be to simply enter a sell transaction as an adjustment that would then bring the balance to its proper amount. You would do this by selecting an account then navigating to Transactions view in the investment and then New Transaction and Sell in the Types list.

I hope this helps, and I will be eager to work with you further, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.