Assigning tax lines to categories

I’m a long time Quicken and Turbo Tax user. I find it frustrating that Quicken doesn’t have a more comprehensive breakdown for assigning categories to Schedule A. Medical categories all get combined and get linked to a single tax line and then in Turbo tax these need to be broken down manually to the correct line in schedule A. Can’t quicken coordinate with Turbo Tax to get a one to one relationship to the Turbo Tax pages?

Best Answers

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    They didn't do it when they were the same company... but you can vote here, for all the good it will do:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7852431/ 

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turbo Tax doesn't need to be split out to the exact categories.  Only the total medical goes to Schedule A.  The categories are just to help you enter the amounts so you don't forget something.   You can enter the total of all under one category.   See Schedule A Medical.  There is only 1 line, line 1.
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• You’ve obviously never used Turbo Tax.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You’ve obviously never used Turbo Tax.
    If you were addressing @volvogirl here is her profile on the Turbotax forums:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/67551

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have been using Turbo Tax since it first came out back in the 90s or early.  I think it was called Chip Soft or something at the beginning?

Here is TT Medical Expense Worksheet.  You can enter on any line.  You don't really need to break out the expenses.  It is totaled on line 12 and the total on line 14 goes to Schedule A line 1. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• My apologies to volvogirl.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    volvogirl said:
    I have been using Turbo Tax since it first came out back in the 90s or early.  I think it was called Chip Soft or something at the beginning?

The company Intuit acquired was ChipSoft. The initial product was MacInTax in 1984. One key feature was that the Mac could display, and the ImageWriter dot matrix printer could print, facsimile tax forms. ChipSoft was not named for computer chips, but for founder Michael Chipman. [End trivia lesson.]
    volvogirl said:
    Here is TT Medical Expense Worksheet.  You can enter on any line.  You don't really need to break out the expenses.  It is totaled on line 12 and the total on line 14 goes to Schedule A line 1.
    That doesn't fix it. There are computations on the worksheet that cannot be handled by Q's tax lines. For example, there is a limit on long term care insurance which varies by age. This means a computation must be performed on that worksheet before including the result on Schedule A.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.