Unable to download American Express credit card transactions since 1/15/2022

Options
Makers
Makers Member ✭✭
I have two Amex card accounts and have been downloading the transactions for years. I tried on 1/15/22 and again today 1/25/22 with no luck. I get a message that Quicken cannot connect to the account. I reset the connection (Settings: Reset Connection) and Quicken found the two cards but I get the same alert when I try to download transactions. I'm running macOS 10.15.7 and Quicken Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100). Help!

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Makers said:
    I have two Amex card accounts and have been downloading the transactions for years. I tried on 1/15/22 and again today 1/25/22 with no luck. I get a message that Quicken cannot connect to the account. I reset the connection (Settings: Reset Connection) and Quicken found the two cards but I get the same alert when I try to download transactions. I'm running macOS 10.15.7 and Quicken Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100). Help!
    Hello @Makers,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with downloading transactions. Thank you for drawing the attention of the Quicken Community to this problem.

You have certainly provided a lot of helpful information, but I do have a couple of additional questions for you. What, if any, error messages do you see when you go into Window > Account Status in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open? Also, what connection type are you using to link the account? You can check this by going to Accounts > Settings > Downloads in the same menu as mentioned before. 

I look forward to your responses and hope to continue working with you on this issue.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi QJ, and thank you for your reply. My connection type is Quicken Connect, and I get the following error message in the Account Status window:

Download Error (-28)
    HTTP -502 Error from American Express

In addition I get the following red highlighted banner message across the top of my Amex account register:

Quicken cannot connect to this account.

Note that I have successfully "Reset" the connection via the Account Settings popup. It finds and links my Amex accounts but that hasn't fixed the problem.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Makers You should change the connection type to Direct Connect which is free for Amex. Direct Connect is generally preferred and more reliable than Quicken Connect since it eliminates the Quicken server as intermediary. To change, open the account's Settings > Downloads and click the Change Connection Type button. The trick next is to click the OPTIONS button even though it appears to be grayed out. This will let you select Direct Connect and you should be good to go.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Makers
    Makers Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestion @RickO! In the meantime before I could try it, either Quicken found and fixed the issue, or it fixed itself.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I would still go ahead and change to Direct Connect to avoid these kinds of problems in the future (and also to make your downloads a bit quicker). One other benefit: you will be able to download Amex by itself instead of having it always download all of your Q/C accounts at the same time.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.