Computer is Kaput

Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson Member ✭✭
My main machine has been down for 2 weeks and there's n o real hope in sight. Can I install a copy of my subscription on this second machine if I promise to remove it when the main machine id working? If so, where do I get a copy of the current version.

Best Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you have the subscription you can install it on as many machines as you want. If you bought from Quicken.Com you need to log into your account there and you should be able to download it from your account. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    We may install the Quicken program on as many machines as we want. 

To install Quicken on the new computer, I suggest you download and open: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you have the subscription you can install it on as many machines as you want. If you bought from Quicken.Com you need to log into your account there and you should be able to download it from your account. 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    We may install the Quicken program on as many machines as we want. 

To install Quicken on the new computer, I suggest you download and open: https://download.quicken.com/windows/Quicken.exe
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member ✭✭
    Thank you both. I have a subscription so that is behind me. The site will take care of the rest.

What happened is a mystery but my local area net was dropped in the night 2 weeks ago. After trying to get it up, Dell said it was a software issue. They finally talked me into a reload of Windows but that didn't solve the issue. So, the main machine has no way to communicate and to download all the software that is lost. Meanwhile, the hub machine (this one) has not be used for about 3 years and so it horribly out of date . . . particularly since Q may have changed the format of the data. So, I'll d/l the current version of Q and the get a CD with the current data and bring it to this machine . . all this is to tell you what I meant by kaput!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on whether on kaput computer has a wired or wireless network connection, you can add a USB network adapter to reestablish a network connection.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bigger question .... where is all your data -
    not just for Quicken, but for ALL your programs, photos, music, etc

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    The data is all on Drive D of the affected computer. However, the installation of Windows did not affect Drive D.

Now, another question. Does Quicken need an internet connection to either install or to run? I can get along for the moment with Quicken not needing to do anything with the data (bank records, etc) but does the program require the internet for installation or to run? If so, I can get by but it will be inconvenient. I have two machines. One, the affected one, is in the house. The other, this one with the internet, is about 50 yards away in what we've always called the kennel building. I'd be able to use Quicken on the affected machine even though it is not yet fixed.

Thanks.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    The data is all on Drive D of the affected computer. However, the installation of Windows did not affect Drive D.

Now, another question. Does Quicken need an internet connection to either install or to run? I can get along for the moment with Quicken not needing to do anything with the data (bank records, etc) but does the program require the internet for installation or to run? If so, I can get by but it will be inconvenient. I have two machines. One, the affected one, is in the house. The other, this one with the internet, is about 50 yards away in what we've always called the kennel building. I'd be able to use Quicken on the affected machine even though it is not yet fixed.

Thanks.
    Quicken will attempt to use the internet to authenticate the Quicken ID associated with the Quicken file to determine the rights of the subscription.
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member ✭✭
    If the attempt fails, what will Quicken do?
This discussion has been closed.