Odd issue opening Quicken.2017 data file

spencerw
spencerw Member ✭✭
I am attempting to convert to the new (6.5.1) version of quicken.

My data file is a quicken.2017 file and I am having issues opening it with the new version. The file opens with quicken.2017 with no issues.

When I attempt to convert, I get the following error message after I select the file on the conversion screen:

[The Document XX.quicken could not be opened.]

[XX.quicken ws last opened on Friday, October 16, 2015 by Quicken 2015 2.3.3 (build 19.1197.100).]

[Choose Quicken >Check for updates to make sure that you have the latest version of Quicken]

[You are using 6.5.1]

So, I am on the latest version of Subscription Quicken and I actually last opened my data file using Quicken 2017 (4.8.6) on January 30, 2022.

Is it a permissions issue? Could it be some artifact in my data file from Q.2015 that needs to be discarded?

Thanks -

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    This may seem stupid to ask, but are you certain the file you are trying to open in subscription Quicken is the file you opened today in Quicken 2017, and not some other file left from Quicken 2015? The files will have different filename extensions — .quicken2017 and .quicken 2015 — so it should be easy to tell them apart.

If that's not the issue, open Quicken 2017 and make a change, such as adding a dummy transaction. That way, we know it is updating the database. While you're there, try saving a backup.

Now go back to subscription Quicken, and go to File > New so you get to the Let's Get Started page. Select that you are starting from a Quicken 2015, 2016 or 2017 data file, and try selecting (a) your data file which was just modified, or (b) the backup file you just created. Do either of them work?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • spencerw
    spencerw Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you @jacobs

Yes, the data file does have the suffix .quicken2017. The save date was earlier today and I added a dummy transaction to be sure that the file is updated.

I then followed your suggestion and created a "new" file using the File > New option. My updated account file failed on the import dialog somewhere in the "updating database" phase. The error message was the same. Interestingly, the filename that is referenced in the error message is the newly created database file, NOT the file which I was already attempting to import.

I then followed your next suggestion which was to import from the newly created backup file (rather than the original .quicken2017 file). That seemed to work.

So, now I have a data file (which included the dummy transaction) which is usable by the subscription version on the Mac.

Thank you for your suggestion. Not sure why it would only install from the backup, but the net result is the same. If @Quicken is interested, I can certainly get you a copy of my q.2017 file.

Thank you for helping to figure a way to get this to work!

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    This may seem stupid to ask, but are you certain the file you are trying to open in subscription Quicken is the file you opened today in Quicken 2017, and not some other file left from Quicken 2015? The files will have different filename extensions — .quicken2017 and .quicken 2015 — so it should be easy to tell them apart.

If that's not the issue, open Quicken 2017 and make a change, such as adding a dummy transaction. That way, we know it is updating the database. While you're there, try saving a backup.

Now go back to subscription Quicken, and go to File > New so you get to the Let's Get Started page. Select that you are starting from a Quicken 2015, 2016 or 2017 data file, and try selecting (a) your data file which was just modified, or (b) the backup file you just created. Do either of them work?
  • spencerw
    spencerw Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you @jacobs

Yes, the data file does have the suffix .quicken2017. The save date was earlier today and I added a dummy transaction to be sure that the file is updated.

I then followed your suggestion and created a "new" file using the File > New option. My updated account file failed on the import dialog somewhere in the "updating database" phase. The error message was the same. Interestingly, the filename that is referenced in the error message is the newly created database file, NOT the file which I was already attempting to import.

I then followed your next suggestion which was to import from the newly created backup file (rather than the original .quicken2017 file). That seemed to work.

So, now I have a data file (which included the dummy transaction) which is usable by the subscription version on the Mac.

Thank you for your suggestion. Not sure why it would only install from the backup, but the net result is the same. If @Quicken is interested, I can certainly get you a copy of my q.2017 file.

Thank you for helping to figure a way to get this to work!
  • spencerw
    spencerw Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Additional information:

The new subscription data file (created when the conversion was attempted AND failed) is 76.8MB in size.

The new upgraded file for subscription quicken is 34.3MB.

The previous quicken.2017 file is 34.2MB.

No idea what that means, but I thought the approximate doubling in size was noteworthy.

Thanks again, @jacobs
  • spencerw
    spencerw Member ✭✭
    More additional information:

Three files are in my "Quicken Backups" folder and appear to have been accessed during the failed conversion earlier this morning. I probably should have cleaned them out some time ago, but interesting that they were accessed during the file conversion process which failed earlier today.

- XXX 2016-05-26.quicken2016backup (Creation date August 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Last opened October 14 at 3:11 PM, modified today at 7:27AM)

- XXX-Delete After Usinhg [sic] this file.quicken2016 ((Creation date August 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Last opened October 14 at 3:11 PM, modified today at 7:27AM)

- XXX.quicken2016 (Creation date August 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Last opened October 14 at 3:11 PM, modified today at 7:27AM)
  • jacobs
    I'm not sure why you experienced the problem starting from the Quicken 2017 data file; I don't recall seeing any other posts about this. But I'm glad you were able to work around it and get up and running!
This discussion has been closed.