Can I delete or hide the windows with the reminders my subscription has ended?

Switched from 2008 to Premier because I couldn't find my disk. Big mistake. I loved the 2008, and have since found my disk, but cannot use the data because it has been updated to the Premier. I only use it as a register, no online activity, so don't need a subscription. I hate it now because the banners take up so much space on my screen.
Banners are boxed with red. Any help is appreciated.

Best Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @Billiejc,

Unfortunately, once your subscription expires, those banners will appear and will not disappear until you renew your subscription.  They are Quicken's way of reminding you to renew, and there is no way to remove them.

If you were to be able to reinstall your Quicken 2008 program on another computer, and then load the last backup of your "Quicken 2008 datafile" (i.e. before you moved to the subscription, you should then be able to copy and paste the transactions you entered in the subscription version into the 2008 version. 

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Just a thought that might help opening your old 2008 data.  You can try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. 

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Or after installing 2008 you needed to update it.  If you want to reinstall an old version you will need to update it first.  Quicken doesn't have the old update patches but One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @Billiejc,

You just need to decide which version - either 2008 or 2013 - you want to use going forward (so that you don't have the advertisement taking up so much of the screen.  While I think either one would allow you to do what you want to do in Quicken, I would probably chose the newer version (2013) because the look and feel will likely be closer to what you are currently using than the older version.  And since you are halfway through your work for 2021, it probably makes sense to finish that in your current datafile and then start fresh for 2022 in the 2013 version.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No, you can't hide them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi @Billiejc,

Unfortunately, once your subscription expires, those banners will appear and will not disappear until you renew your subscription.  They are Quicken's way of reminding you to renew, and there is no way to remove them.

If you were to be able to reinstall your Quicken 2008 program on another computer, and then load the last backup of your "Quicken 2008 datafile" (i.e. before you moved to the subscription, you should then be able to copy and paste the transactions you entered in the subscription version into the 2008 version. 

Frankx

• Billiejc
    Billiejc Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I've tried to reinstall 2008 on another computer, but when I tried to restore the last backup, it came up with "unable to verify" and said the file was damaged. I think I will just print out the balances for the different accounts and start over. Thanks again!
  • Billiejc
    Billiejc Member ✭✭
    I found that I could get rid of the one on the right by using Full Screen. That's helpful. I also found another backup file from the 2008 version, so I'm going to give it another try. If it doesn't work, I'll go with the full screen on Premier.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Billiejc said:
    I found that I could get rid of the one on the right by using Full Screen. That's helpful. I also found another backup file from the 2008 version, so I'm going to give it another try. If it doesn't work, I'll go with the full screen on Premier.
    Interesting.  I always run in full screen and the last time I tested it that section didn't go away, so that is new.

Note that Quicken 2008 can't read your Quicken subscription data file.  Intuit changed the format every year, which means that given any year version of Quicken, it can't read the next year's version or later.

When Quicken Inc took over, they decided to keep the data file format backwards compatible.  That change over started in Quicken 2016.  So, Quicken 2016/2017 can read a Quicken subscription data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Billiejc
    Billiejc Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Interesting.  I always run in full screen and the last time I tested it that section didn't go away, so that is new.
    >
    > Note that Quicken 2008 can't read your Quicken subscription data file.  Intuit changed the format every year, which means that given any year version of Quicken, it can't read the next year's version or later.
    >
    > When Quicken Inc took over, they decided to keep the data file format backwards compatible.  That change over started in Quicken 2016.  So, Quicken 2016/2017 can read a Quicken subscription data file.

Thank you for that information regarding the 2016. I have several different backups from 2008. I am not able to open any of them. Each one tells me the file is damaged. When I tried to open one of the backups, none of them appeared in the selection of files available, even though I can see them in Explorer. There must be something left from the Premier after I uninstalled it. My grandson is in IT, so I'll have him check it out next time he is here.

For now I will use the Premier to finish out my books for 2021, then I will start a new file for 2022. The only reason I'm going to do that is because Premier asks me to sign in each time I open it. I just X out and use it.
  • volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Just a thought that might help opening your old 2008 data.  You can try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now. Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013. 

You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

FYI - All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like - .IDX, .QEL, .QPH & .QDF, and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF in starting in 2010.

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Or after installing 2008 you needed to update it.  If you want to reinstall an old version you will need to update it first.  Quicken doesn't have the old update patches but One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

• Billiejc
    Billiejc Member ✭✭
    Awesome! Thank you for the info!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    So let us know how things went, or if you have any additional questions.

Frankx

• Billiejc
    Billiejc Member ✭✭
    I want to make sure I understand what I am doing. I have been using the Premier because I couldn't use the 2008. My intention was to finish through 2021 with Premier, then uninstall it, install 2008, and start a brand new file for 2022. It will be a lot of work because I will have to reconstruct all my accounts, but will be worth it to not have to deal with popups wanting me to sign in.

My confusion is this. I want to do as volvogirl suggested, and use 2013. I'm not sure what steps to do in order to do this, Do I need to reinstall 2008, run the patches, then uninstall it, then install 2013? I've completely confused myself. I've downloaded the 2008 patches as well as the 2013.

Thanks to all of you pros for the help. I'm 71, fairly computer savvy, but not as much as I was 20 years ago. LOL
  • Billiejc
    Billiejc Member ✭✭
    I forgot to add. I am only about halfway through my accounting for 2021, so am not adverse to redoing it in 2008 or 2013.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi again @Billiejc,

You just need to decide which version - either 2008 or 2013 - you want to use going forward (so that you don't have the advertisement taking up so much of the screen.  While I think either one would allow you to do what you want to do in Quicken, I would probably chose the newer version (2013) because the look and feel will likely be closer to what you are currently using than the older version.  And since you are halfway through your work for 2021, it probably makes sense to finish that in your current datafile and then start fresh for 2022 in the 2013 version.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

• Billiejc
    Billiejc Member ✭✭
    Thank you for all your help. I was able to do the steps to get 2013 installed and using a backup from 2020. I am going to do as Frankx advised, finish out 2021 with Premier, then start with the ending balances from it to start 2013 Deluxe. At least I won't have to put all my accounts back in!
This discussion has been closed.