Personal Income Categories not showing up in Budget

Shrk
Shrk Member
Hi there, I am trying to add my personal income categories to my budget so that I can edit them and they don't show up in the budget for editing. I have checked at all of the categories I wish to add are correctly categorized as subcategories under the "Personal Income" category. I then go to "Manage Budget Categories" in the Budget planner and click on the boxes of all the income categories I wish to add. Then, nothing. They don't show up at all in the Budget. Help! :-)

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you expand the Personal Income group on the Budget view: open the budget and left-click on the plus icon to the left of Personal Income
  • Shrk
    Shrk Member
    Thanks, Sherlock. Unfortunately, the issue is that the “Personal Income” group is not showing up in the Budget at all so I can’t right click on it.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Shrk said:
    Thanks, Sherlock. Unfortunately, the issue is that the “Personal Income” group is not showing up in the Budget at all so I can’t right click on it.
    I suspect the budget may be corrupt.  Does the issue reproduce in a new budget or in a budget in a new Quicken file?

Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

• Shrk
    Shrk Member
    Hi Sherlock, the issue reproduces in a new budget. I just did "Budget Actions" >"Create a Budget">"Let Quicken select my transaction categories" and the issue is the same.

I also did "Budget Actions" >"Create a Budget">"Manually select transaction categories" > "Select Categories to Budget" and selected only my Personal Income categories plus one Personal Expenses category (Auto & Transport). I then see the "Your selected budget categories" screen and the window in the top right of that screen shows a total amount for "budgeted income" and a total amount for "budgeted expense" but when I click "done" to go to the actual budget, only the "Personal Expenses" categories (i.e., Auto & Transport) appear on screen. It's super weird. The program clearly has the data but it isn't showing it in the actual Budget.
  • Shrk
    Shrk Member
    Sorry, I forgot to mention the version of Quicken. It is an online subscription for Quicken for Windows that is fully updated. Thanks!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Shrk said:
    Hi Sherlock, the issue reproduces in a new budget. I just did "Budget Actions" >"Create a Budget">"Let Quicken select my transaction categories" and the issue is the same.

I also did "Budget Actions" >"Create a Budget">"Manually select transaction categories" > "Select Categories to Budget" and selected only my Personal Income categories plus one Personal Expenses category (Auto & Transport). I then see the "Your selected budget categories" screen and the window in the top right of that screen shows a total amount for "budgeted income" and a total amount for "budgeted expense" but when I click "done" to go to the actual budget, only the "Personal Expenses" categories (i.e., Auto & Transport) appear on screen. It's super weird. The program clearly has the data but it isn't showing it in the actual Budget.
    Shrk said:
    Sorry, I forgot to mention the version of Quicken. It is an online subscription for Quicken for Windows that is fully updated. Thanks!
    Again...

Does the issue reproduce in a budget in a new Quicken file?

Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

If the issue does not reproduce in a new Quicken file, I suspect the original Quicken file is corrupt.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Troubleshoot+a+damaged+Quicken+data+file

If the issue does reproduce in a new Quicken file, the issue may be bug in a recent staged release.  Note: We're using R36.38 and I can not reproduce the issue you've described.
  • Shrk
    Shrk Member
    I am using Version R37.67, Build 27.1.37.67.

The issue does not reproduce in a completely new quicken file that doesn't contain any data.

I tried several of the options in the link you provided. I read through the link's suggestions as well as the "advanced troubleshooting" link contained therein. Since I have no idea what could be the "problem" transaction, the specific suggestions surrounding isolating a problem transaction don't really work here. Of the other suggestions, they seem to boil down to the following three approaches, all of which I tried:

(1) export the file/restore from an external drive. The issue is still there.

(2) restore from an earlier backup of a quicken data file. I tried restoring a backup file from 2019 and one from 2020 and the issue is still there.

(3) copy data file from within Quicken. The issue is still there.

(4) use the Validate & Repair utility. The utility runs and says the data in my current file is totally fine.

Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.