Acorns is an option now in Jan 2022 for Mac, but not downloading the balance

Davemanathan
Davemanathan Member
edited February 2022 in Investing (Mac)
Before I began I logged into my Acorns account and see the amounts for both account types. Then in Quicken for Mac I was happy to see Acorns is now an option, and it recognized both the Later (IRA), and Invest (brokerage). Only Simple tracking is available, which is fine. However, after setup it updated the accounts and only displayed a balance of zero for both accounts. I updated again, and when still zero I reset the connection via settings, but it still doesn't display anything downloaded. I changed the download option to only be today instead of all transactions, since Simple tracking can't download the details anyway. But it continues to show zero securities and a zero balance. Anyone able to get it to work?
Tagged:

Comments

• I'm having the same issue. Signed in no problem but just seeing a zero balance.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Before I began I logged into my Acorns account and see the amounts for both account types. Then in Quicken for Mac I was happy to see Acorns is now an option, and it recognized both the Later (IRA), and Invest (brokerage). Only Simple tracking is available, which is fine. However, after setup it updated the accounts and only displayed a balance of zero for both accounts. I updated again, and when still zero I reset the connection via settings, but it still doesn't display anything downloaded. I changed the download option to only be today instead of all transactions, since Simple tracking can't download the details anyway. But it continues to show zero securities and a zero balance. Anyone able to get it to work?
    Hello @Davemanathan,

I am sorry for any confusion or inconvenience you may have experienced, and I thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community regarding this issue. When you say that your balances are zero, you are observing this in the Transactions view of your Acorn investment account or accounts, is that correct? Do you see any individual items in this view, with the total being zero, or is it empty? Perhaps some screenshots may be of assistance to us in this situation, if you are willing to provide these.

I look forward to hearing more from you, if you get a chance to follow up with us about this.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • cwclifford
    cwclifford Member ✭✭
    I also have this issue. Last year, I added my Acorns accounts: Invest (ETFs) and Later (Roth IRA). What happened was that while one balance appeared correctly, the sum total of both accounts appeared in the other so I gave up and removed them both.

Now, I've added them back (along with a new Acorns checking account, which shows up fine with correct balance and all) but the Invest account shows a zero balance with no transactions. The Later account shows a balance of $118.82 (should be $465.24) and transactions are a few Payment/Deposits from 2015 to present day but certainly not all of them. I have six ETFs but none show up in the Dashboard.
  • Prior to doing the following I logged into my Acorns account and checked my balances. Then in Quicken I deleted the two Acorns accounts. After that I added 'Acorns Later' & 'Acorns Invest' back to Quicken to show the entire process and to show the balance for both display zero, in the attached PDF (I hid private information).
  • My PDF in the previous comment has the wrong IRA type shown--I corrected it in Quicken. FYI: According to Acorns there can be 3 different IRA account types. If anyone else is wondering what type of Acorns Later IRA type you have this is what I did to get the answer. Log into Acorns account > click Later > click the settings gear icon > Account type displays.
  • Claudiob1
    Claudiob1 Member
    Having the same issue with Acorn here, logs in, but no data is downloaded and no error is shown. How best should one set up Acorn in quicken? What type of account/category should it be, brokerage, IRA, etc?
  • claudiomb
    claudiomb Member
    > @Claudiob1 said:
    > Having the same issue with Acorn here, logs in, but no data is downloaded and no error is shown. How best should one set up Acorn in quicken? What type of account/category should it be, brokerage, IRA, etc?
    Change my username. Please respond to this one instead.
  • Quicken Jared
    claudiomb said:
    > @Claudiob1 said:
    > Having the same issue with Acorn here, logs in, but no data is downloaded and no error is shown. How best should one set up Acorn in quicken? What type of account/category should it be, brokerage, IRA, etc?
    Change my username. Please respond to this one instead.
    Hello @claudiomb,    

I am sorry that you are experiencing these difficulties, as well. I appreciate that you are taking the chance to further the discussion of this subject here on the Quicken Community. 

Did you see @DaveManathan's response earlier in the thread? Was this helpful in obtaining an answer to the question about the account types? I look forward to your reply, should you have an opportunity to follow up with us again.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Steve Taff
    Steve Taff Member ✭✭
    Not sure if it's the same underlying issue, but I've got similar zero-balance/empty results for two different Quicken Mac Simple Tracking accounts from a brokerage (ProEquities). In one, all securities update and track properly, but the money market/sweep balance (called Brokerage Money Market) is missing (and not showing under "Cash"). In the other account (a variable annuity, if that matters), nothing whatsoever shows in simple tracking, just like the final screen shown by Davemanathan.

Looking at the logs, I see that each of the "missing" amounts is being properly pushed from the brokerage, at least with respect to quantity/value numbers, but each is missing a line for "Symbol". Makes sense that there is no symbol, since these aren't traded, but shouldn't Quicken be able to parse these missing-symbol lines and report them as something like "other?"
  • Quicken Jared
    Not sure if it's the same underlying issue, but I've got similar zero-balance/empty results for two different Quicken Mac Simple Tracking accounts from a brokerage (ProEquities). In one, all securities update and track properly, but the money market/sweep balance (called Brokerage Money Market) is missing (and not showing under "Cash"). In the other account (a variable annuity, if that matters), nothing whatsoever shows in simple tracking, just like the final screen shown by Davemanathan.

Looking at the logs, I see that each of the "missing" amounts is being properly pushed from the brokerage, at least with respect to quantity/value numbers, but each is missing a line for "Symbol". Makes sense that there is no symbol, since these aren't traded, but shouldn't Quicken be able to parse these missing-symbol lines and report them as something like "other?"
    Hello @Steve Taff,    

I am sorry for any difficulties you have experienced, and I thank you for getting in touch with us in this thread here at the Quicken Community.

To answer your last question: Quicken does not track any securities without a ticker symbol, although these can be entered as cash accounts. In this case that may not be appropriate, but in order to confirm that, more information may be required. What Connection Type are you using, if you don't mind my asking? You can check this by selecting your ProEquities investments from the left-hand panel in the Quicken window, under the Account List, and then going to Accounts > Settings > Downloads in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open.

I hope to hear more from you regarding this issue, and I look forward to any correspondence you may be able to provide. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Steve Taff
    Steve Taff Member ✭✭
    Quicken Mac Deluxe 6.5.1, here are three data points for money market items:

A. In Simple Tracking, Quicken Connect to ProEquities: Symbol line in log is missing, but all others are in log, including security Name, id, quantity, and marketValue. Quicken ignores this, and cash is zero, so overall balance is incorrect.

B. In Simple Tracking, Quicken Connect to TD Ameritrade: Symbol line in log shows “MMDA12”, plus all other lines. Quicken properly reports the numbers as a money market, Cash is zero, and overall balance is correct.

C. In regular (detailed) tracking, Direct Connect to same TD Ameritrade: No line in the log for the money market, but the correct value is shown as “cash”, and overall balance is correct. The “real” account does not have a cash balance, per se; that all gets swept into the money market.

So the difference for TD Ameritrade is the way they report via Direct Connect and Quicken Connect. Don’t know if this difference is idiosyncratic to the broker or if it’s baked into the two different reporting channels. Either way, the data makes it into Quicken, but gets displayed differently.

For the other broker, ProEquities, I can only do Simple Tracking; detailed tracking is manual. For Simple Tracking, the log data (missing symbol) is ignored by Quicken.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Mac Deluxe 6.5.1, here are three data points for money market items:

A. In Simple Tracking, Quicken Connect to ProEquities: Symbol line in log is missing, but all others are in log, including security Name, id, quantity, and marketValue. Quicken ignores this, and cash is zero, so overall balance is incorrect.

B. In Simple Tracking, Quicken Connect to TD Ameritrade: Symbol line in log shows “MMDA12”, plus all other lines. Quicken properly reports the numbers as a money market, Cash is zero, and overall balance is correct.

C. In regular (detailed) tracking, Direct Connect to same TD Ameritrade: No line in the log for the money market, but the correct value is shown as “cash”, and overall balance is correct. The “real” account does not have a cash balance, per se; that all gets swept into the money market.

So the difference for TD Ameritrade is the way they report via Direct Connect and Quicken Connect. Don’t know if this difference is idiosyncratic to the broker or if it’s baked into the two different reporting channels. Either way, the data makes it into Quicken, but gets displayed differently.

For the other broker, ProEquities, I can only do Simple Tracking; detailed tracking is manual. For Simple Tracking, the log data (missing symbol) is ignored by Quicken.
    Hello @Steve Taff,                 

I am sorry to hear that the issue remains unresolved, and I do thank you for continuing to follow up with me about this. 

First, save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Next, go to File > New and select Start from Scratch in the window that appears afterwards. Now, try adding solely the ProEquities account(s) or investment(s) by selecting the Add Account button in the upper left-hand corner of the Quicken window, denoted by the '+' icon. After going through the steps to link the account to online services, observe for these same irregularities in how the tickers appear in this new 'test' file.

I look forward to hearing back from you if there are any additional developments, and hope you have the opportunity to check in with the Quicken Community once again.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • Steve Taff
    Steve Taff Member ✭✭
    I should clarify that my item B (simple tracking for a TD Ameritrade account) is using Quicken Connect VIA PROEQUITIES, not connected to TD Ameritrade itself. The detailed tracking in my item C is a Direct Connect from TD Ameritrade itself.

So the difference might be in how ProEquities grabs data from TD Ameritrade and then passes it on to Quicken, rather than the Direct Connect vs Quicken Connect suggestion I made above.

Sorry for any confusion.
  • Steve Taff
    Steve Taff Member ✭✭
    Quicken Jared:
    I created a new file from scratch and linked to my broker and checked the downloads plus the log file. Everything exactly the same as before:

Under simple transactions and Quicken Connect, Quicken ignores data with missing symbol and properly registers quantity and value for anything with a symbol, including the money market security.

Under detailed transactions and Direct Connect, Quicken ignores the money market security and places that amount under Cash.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared:
    I created a new file from scratch and linked to my broker and checked the downloads plus the log file. Everything exactly the same as before:

Under simple transactions and Quicken Connect, Quicken ignores data with missing symbol and properly registers quantity and value for anything with a symbol, including the money market security.

Under detailed transactions and Direct Connect, Quicken ignores the money market security and places that amount under Cash.
    @Steve Taff,     

I do appreciate your patience and efforts in keeping me updated about the situation. Again, I apologize that this is continuing. 

In this case, it would be worth our while to obtain logs about the problem. You can submit logs by opening Quicken and going to Help > Report a Problem in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure to submit screenshots of the transactions with missing ticker symbols and then provide a brief description of the issue before clicking Send to Quicken. Doing this will provide much-needed information to our escalation team and assist in achieving a more expedient resolution.

Feel free to reach back out to us here on the Quicken Community with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Steve Taff
    Steve Taff Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Jared.
    Done!
This discussion has been closed.