Category Reports Do Not Agree

Merlady
Merlady Member ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I ran a Category Summary Report and Category Transaction Report for calendar year 2021. The Category amounts do no match; and in some instances, they’re off by $1000’s, Why the differences?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What we need to find out is if you are using the "old" Category Summary Report. If so, it is known to have data errors which the developers have not fixed because they plan to eliminate it from the program (but haven't yet done so). The "old" reports are the ones in the Reports section which appear under the "Other" section and have gray icons, while all the new reports have different colored icons:

The top of the old Category Summary looks like this:

The top of the new Category Summary looks like this:

If you're using the "old" report, the simple solution is: don't. ;) There are two ways to generate a new Category Summary report: (1) Go to Reports > Summary and select one of the Category Summary pre-built reports, and then edit the date range to be what you want; or (2) click Create New Report > Summary, click Continue to Customize, set the dates, and press OK. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Merlady
    Merlady Member ✭✭
    @jacobs thanks so much for your thorough reply; however, I do not have “Other” as a selection in reports.
  • Merlady
    Merlady Member ✭✭
    Ok, the Category Transaction Report was not pulling data from all Accounts, even though they were checked. I just went in and created a totally new report and it is pulling all Accounts now. Thank your for your assistance!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Merlady I'm glad you were able to fix the report settings to get it working accurately.

FYI, the "Other" section of reports I was referring to is when you click on Reports at the top of the main Quicken screen (or if you pull down the Reports menu):

These are the reports to avoid using. (Category Summary and Payee Summary have new versions in the Summary section; Last Month and This Month reports can be created in the Transaction section.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Merlady
    Merlady Member ✭✭
    @jacobs thanks so much; you’re very thorough! 👍🏼
This discussion has been closed.