.dll file blocking Windows

Can anyone tell me why Quicken seems to have a problem accepting .dll files in Windows? The files are dxgi.dll, user32.dll and kernel32.dll.
When I launch Quicken, my file processing safety software returns an error message to block running these three files from the temp folder.
The files are described as normal Windows files on the web.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    None of these files should be in the temp folder.  They should be in your Windows\System32 folder.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • bherman
    bherman Member
    Chris, apology for the delay in further comment. The files are found in the System 32 folder.
    What I am seeing is that when I start Quicken, a message that the files were blocked from running from a 'temp' folder. I don't have the path handy to show if the files are originating from the System 32 folder.
    The message box is generated by an AOL Tech Fortress app that serves to block files running that are interpreted as a threat. AOL Support advises that Tech Fortress is very sensitive, but they could not explain why these particular files cause the threat message when I start Quicken. I have not detected performance issue when running Quicken.
    I am just trying to understand if Quicken has a compatibility problem with the files and/or Tech Fortress. Thought/advice is welcome.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know Quicken doesn't put such DLL files in a temp directory, it doesn't have them in its install at all.  A DLL like kernel32.dll is used by the Windows operating system, not a program like Quicken.

It is a mystery of how they got on your machine at all, let alone that temp directory being in Quicken's executable path.

Quicken might use some temp directories during an install, but it certainly shouldn't be running from one when it is running normally.
    Signature:
  • bherman
    bherman Member
    The mentioned .dll files do not attempt to run through a Quicken path, apology if this was implied. The files attempt to run from a Windows 'user' path that invokes a folder called 'AppData', that leads to a Temp subfolder that holds the .dll file. The icon for the AppData folder displays as open when when I do a file search, yet I cannot see the folder in the static file manager directory hierarchy.
    I presume the .dll files were included in Windows or from a Windows update. I trust your explanation of not having any direct association with Quicken.
    I tried to delete the .dll files, but I could not. I tried to modify the permissions, but was not able to that as they are Windows restricted.
    Thanks again...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    When I said Quicken’s path, I meant the path for executables for the program (Quicken).  That would be a combination of the user’s path and the system path and the current path of the application.

In no cases should AppData be in the path for executing programs.  As the “Data” implies it a location for storing application data, not executable programs.  It is against the “Windows policy” to have executables stored there.

And as you have seen Windows is very “picky” about those DLLs that are associated with the operating system.  Which why it is “strange” that they got put in there at all.

I believe that you should be able to remove them if you go into Windows Safe mode.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.