Odd behavior for "Estimate Amount for Me" set to "Current credit card balance"

I have three credit cards for which I set up transfer reminders. I am using "transfer" because I "transfer" funds from my checking account to the credit card account in Quicken.

When I select "Current credit card balance" as the option for "Estimate amount for me," the current balance does appear at that moment, but after I click OK then Done to exit the edit screen for the transfer reminder, Quicken doesn't retain this selection. When I go back, "Estimate amount for me" has returned to "OFF". I've repeated it several times.

However, if I instead set up a bill reminder in which I make the category the credit card account, then I can use "Estimate amount for me" set to "Current credit card balance", and it remains ON.

Why doesn't this work for a transfer reminder? If it doesn't work, why is it an option in the drop-down for "Estimate amount for me"?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    This is a long standing bug.  While the Estimate amount for me in the Transfer reminder says it is Off, it is actually On.  Instead of using a Transfer reminder, I suggest you consider using a Bill reminder that transfers the funds.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    This is a long standing bug.  While the Estimate amount for me in the Transfer reminder says it is Off, it is actually On.  Instead of using a Transfer reminder, I suggest you consider using a Bill reminder that transfers the funds.
  • khg
    khg Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I did change these over to "bill reminders" instead of "transfer reminders."

While I agree that, technically, the estimate amount for me feature is still ON, it is not the one I selected (current balance) but rather as if I had chosen "fixed amount." The amount displayed in the upcoming bill/transfer reminder list remained at the amount that was the account's current balance at the time I created the estimation. The estimated amount was not revised after subsequent charges to the account. So it might be ON, but it's incorrect.

That said, the feature used within the "bill reminder" option functions as expected, in that the amount is updated in the reminder list as the balance of the account changes.
This discussion has been closed.