How to track personal allowances and other budgeted pre-designated amounts

Hi. I'm converting my personal finances from Google Sheets to Quicken. In Google Sheets, I have amounts set aside for various purposes, personal allowances, emergency fund, school fund. These amounts are all included in the primary checking account. What is the best way to show the balances and track the transactions for these funds?

Best Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Check out Savings Goals in Quicken Help:

How to Set Up Savings Goals | Quicken

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    "However, it would be improved by finding a way to link them to the primary accounts so that the balances are taken directly into account,"
    Click the gear wheel over the Accounts Bar and select "Show savings goal transactions in registers and reports."  That will reduce the balance in the Account to show that money is "gone."

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Check out Savings Goals in Quicken Help:

How to Set Up Savings Goals | Quicken

• The savings goal seems like a good way to track these items for now.

However, it would be improved by finding a way to link them to the primary accounts so that the balances are taken directly into account, and that any amount over or under allocated would be reflected in the main account. Is this possible?

For instance:
    Checking (unallocated funds): 100
    Personal allowance: 50
    Total available funds: 150
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    "However, it would be improved by finding a way to link them to the primary accounts so that the balances are taken directly into account,"
    Click the gear wheel over the Accounts Bar and select "Show savings goal transactions in registers and reports."  That will reduce the balance in the Account to show that money is "gone."
  • Thanks, guys! Very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.