Quicken file icon moves on desktop!

Al Coons
Al Coons Member ✭✭
For quite a while through updates of MacOS and Quicken (and perhaps changing to a new iMac) the Quicken data file icon moves each time I quit Quicken. This is the only time in decades and many apps that I have seen this behavior. I keep it near (but with plenty of room) near to the top right of the screen. On Quit if moves to the first open spot. Then I move it back and the saga continues. Love Quicken and this is no big deal but would love to know what is going on and how to fix it.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @Al Coons Yes, this is definitely not a function of Quicken, it's a function of the macOS Finder.

I don't know what version of macOS you are running. I don't have the latest, but hopefully this is the same or similar whatever operating system you're running. Select the View menu in the Finder, and select View Options. I believe you will find that your Sort By setting is set to Date Modified. That setting would make the Quicken data file jump into the first available location on your desktop every time you quit Quicken, as you describe. Change the Sort by Setting to Snap to Grid, and files won't move from where you place them when you open or modify them.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• BradPDX
    BradPDX Member ✭✭
    This is way more a Finder thing than a Quicken thing. Finder will move icons on the desktop if you use certain settings (e.g., Stacks). If you put Quicken in the dock, it will stay there for sure.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    @Al Coons Yes, this is definitely not a function of Quicken, it's a function of the macOS Finder.

I don't know what version of macOS you are running. I don't have the latest, but hopefully this is the same or similar whatever operating system you're running. Select the View menu in the Finder, and select View Options. I believe you will find that your Sort By setting is set to Date Modified. That setting would make the Quicken data file jump into the first available location on your desktop every time you quit Quicken, as you describe. Change the Sort by Setting to Snap to Grid, and files won't move from where you place them when you open or modify them.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Al Coons
    Al Coons Member ✭✭
    I had pursued this before by setting Find>View>Sort by>NONE! That did not fix the problem so I was seeking another approach. However, I took your suggestion and set View>Sort by>Snap To Grid and then Cleaned Up By>Selection. That appears to have fixed the problem. Thanks so much for the help.
This discussion has been closed.