Unable to review loan transactions in Quicken for Windows

I have had transactions in a vehicle loan account for some time. The flag next to the account says two transactions are available for review. When I try to review the transactions, nothing comes up. There is no registry available. The Quicken account is not connected to an online account as is shown in the account details. However, there is a small lightning bolt above the "Principal Balance Paid" graphic which links to the bank web page.

I'm using Quicken Windows Release R37.67. Resolution steps I've taken already include:
- Update Quicken - Result is that I have the latest version.
- Validate Quicken File - Result is no errors in that specific account
- Supervalidate Quicken File - Result is no errors in that specific account

Thanks in advance for your help.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi again @hicksp0026,

I know that you probably didn't want to have this account as a "connected loan" but I am pretty sure that is what you have.  The signs are there in the lightning bolt and the lack of a register.  Also, since you've information in the "Account Details" that includes the account number and bank name and that you are downloading other accounts at this bank - everything points to thus being a download loan account.

You could try removing the the account number and bank name data and then do your normal bank download to see if that changes anything but I don't think it will.  The way that Quicken implemented loan downloads was to specifically NOT have a register for those accounts due to the many problems with the bank's transactions not matching up with loan amortization schedules.  If you search this community you'll see a lot of posts about the problems that can happen with connected loans.  Those posts always end with two options: a) either accept that you can't edit transactions nor see a register, or b) delete the loan account in Quicken and start over with a new manual loan account. 

Get back to me if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @hicksp0026,

If there is no register this for a loan account, that typically means that you have a "connected" account - which is "connected to" and therefore updated by the financial institution, rather than by the Quicken user.  The presence of a "lightning bolt" also is an indication of a connected account.  Where are you seeing that this "account is not connected to an online account as is shown in the account details".  If you click on the "Payment Details" button - what do you see?

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• hicksp0026`
    hicksp0026` Member ✭✭
    Answering your questions:
    - Question: Where are you seeing that this "account is not connected to an online account as is shown in the account details."
    - Answer: On other accounts, "connected" accounts show an "Online Services" tab in the account details which shows online setup to activate/deactivate, reset account and online bill payment. When looking at the account details for this loan, the "Online Services" tab is not shown. The lightning bolt that I click takes me to the bank main web page and nothing else. I attached a screenshot of the Account Details for this account (minus any account numbers, banks, etc.) showing that the only tabs displayed are for "General" and for "Display Options"

- Question: If you click on the "Payment Details" button - what do you see?
    - Answer: I am shown a pie graph and the bi-weekly payment breakout with an option to view the payment schedule. I attached a screen shot of the Payment Details that I see (minus any account numbers, banks, etc.).
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @hicksp0026`

Thanks for that additional information and the screenshots.

You didn't attach the "Loan Details" tab, and in the screenshot of "Account Details" I can't tell for sure, but is seems as though you may have entered both the "Financial Institution" name and "Account Number" - is that correct?  And, if that is true, is it possible that you have other accounts at that financial institution that are "connected" accounts for which you download data?

In the "payment details" screenshot - it appears that the "View payment details" button is missing completely and the "View payment schedule" button is partly obscured.  I know you removed some data, but in your Quicken file - do you actually see both of these buttons clearly on your screen?

Frankx

• hicksp0026`
    hicksp0026` Member ✭✭
    I didn't send the Loan Details tab. See attached for that.

I do have the financial institution name and account number in the entry locations. I do also connect with that financial institution to download data for multiple accounts.

The "View Payment Details" button shows up, but when I select it, the button disappears. The "View Payment Schedule" moves behind the text, but when I select it, the payment schedule does come up.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi again @hicksp0026,

I know that you probably didn't want to have this account as a "connected loan" but I am pretty sure that is what you have.  The signs are there in the lightning bolt and the lack of a register.  Also, since you've information in the "Account Details" that includes the account number and bank name and that you are downloading other accounts at this bank - everything points to thus being a download loan account.

You could try removing the the account number and bank name data and then do your normal bank download to see if that changes anything but I don't think it will.  The way that Quicken implemented loan downloads was to specifically NOT have a register for those accounts due to the many problems with the bank's transactions not matching up with loan amortization schedules.  If you search this community you'll see a lot of posts about the problems that can happen with connected loans.  Those posts always end with two options: a) either accept that you can't edit transactions nor see a register, or b) delete the loan account in Quicken and start over with a new manual loan account. 

Get back to me if you have any followups.

Frankx

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What is extremely strange is that the Account Details dialog doesn't have an Online Services tab, which it should have if it is connected to an online account.  It is there where one might change it to a manual entry account.  It is sort of like it is half in, half out.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • hicksp0026`
    hicksp0026` Member ✭✭
    I decided to delete the account and start over. The Online Services tab showed up now, and the account is linked to my financial institution.

I think the account became corrupted at some point and got caught in between being an online and manual account.

Thanks for all of your help.
  • anz
    anz Member ✭✭
    It USED to be that you could set up the loan account as a credit card and have the bank downloads work, and see the register. This seems to have changed with a relatively recent release of Quicken. I have a car loan that suddenly was "closed", a new account opened without allowing me to make it a credit card. This happened when I tried to add a new mortgage in January. Before that my line-of-credit and automobile loans both looked like credit cards and worked the way it should.
This discussion has been closed.