How do I create a report on each mutual fund's distribution of investment types?

Options
sploosh
sploosh Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I want to create a report on each mutual fund's investment type distribution. There are reports that cover the entire portfolio (my portfolio as a whole has X% in large cap, Y% in small cap, Z% in international, etc), but I can't figure out how to create a similar report that gives a breakdown per mutual fund. This would be helpful in rebalancing the portfolio, so I can identify the best fund(s) to sell to achieve what I want.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It would be nice if there were a report like that, but unfortunately there isn't one that does what I think you are describing.

One thing you can do is to use the Investing > Investment Asset Allocation report. That report is grouped by asset class and shows how many dollars of each of your holdings are in that asset class.

You can customize that report to include selected accounts, so if you want to rebalance in your retirement accounts, you can select just those accounts and see how the holdings in those accounts contribute the the allocation.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It would be nice if there were a report like that, but unfortunately there isn't one that does what I think you are describing.

One thing you can do is to use the Investing > Investment Asset Allocation report. That report is grouped by asset class and shows how many dollars of each of your holdings are in that asset class.

You can customize that report to include selected accounts, so if you want to rebalance in your retirement accounts, you can select just those accounts and see how the holdings in those accounts contribute the the allocation.
  • sploosh
    sploosh Member ✭✭
    Options
    That's true, I can do that. It's a bit tedious, since in order to get the most "bang for your buck" to help determine which mutual fund to sell you have to look at each fund individually and then enter the info into a spreadsheet, and also you can't print or export the results, but anyway it's feasible. It's a pity Quicken doesn't already have this sort of report, it already has all the necessary data.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    You can export the Investment Asset Allocation report to Excel and manipulate the data there if you want.

I'm not sure how you define "bang for your buck." If selling in a taxable account, it might include which fund has the largest holding in the asset class, which fund has the highest cost basis tax lots, and what other asset classes a particular fund holds. Or you might want to consider just tax deferred accounts for rebalancing, to cut capital gains taxes. It is not a simple decision.

I usually start with the Investing > Allocations > Rebalance Portfolio page, which shows the dollar amount your holdings are over or under your targets. You can click on the segments of the Actual pie chart to see which securities contribute to that asset class.

Quicken does have some other (rather out of date) tools to help with asset allocation changes - the Buy-Sell Preview and the Capital Gains Estimator, which you might want to explore.
  • sploosh
    sploosh Member ✭✭
    Options
    What I meant by "bang for your buck" is that if I want to trim my overall large cap holdings (for example), I might do better by selling Fund A than selling Fund B, if I know Fund A has more large cap. As for the rest, the only way I can rebalance is by (slowly!) selling taxable funds, so I'm going to get hit by taxes any way I play it. But certainly the percent of capital gain in each fund and other issues will also be considerations.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To see what %MktVal each fund represents, I suggest using Portfolio Views. They are very flexible and easily customized. Those views will not break out the asset classes as the Allocation Reports and similar do. Nevertheless, I think Portfolio Views are more what you are after. 
  • sploosh
    sploosh Member ✭✭
    Options
    @q_lurker Yes, the Portfolio view at least shows the general fund category for each mutual fund, along with their market value, Morningstar rating and other useful info. Still, it would be helpful to have more granularity -- since I have to sell chunks for living expenses anyway (I'm retired), it would be good to have the money come from the right places for rebalancing. If I need $X, in one sense it doesn't matter which fund I sell to get $X, it's still $X. But not all (say) Large Blend funds are the same, and if a finer grained view revealed significant different internal balances, I might have a preference, or I might draw from a fund in a different fund category.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don’t limit yourself to the preset portfolio views. By customizing the columns, the securities, the accounts and grouping and sorting various ways, you can greatly enhance the value received. Gain:loss info, returns, performance. 

But I do acknowledge that still does come up short with regard to incorporating the asset class data. 
  • sploosh
    sploosh Member ✭✭
    Options
    @q_lurker OK, I'll play around with the portfolio views some more. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I’m away from Quicken at the moment but some of the columns I use making sell decisions include Mkt Value, Mkt Value %, Gain/Loss, Gain/Loss %and Avg Ann Return. 

Then there are factors like selling (withdrawing) from retirement accounts to satisfy RMD requirements, selling from taxable accounts with tax implications.  I’m usually looking at balance across the entire portfolio but making sell decisions on one side or the other. It can get complicated. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Also in the Portfolio views if you group by Account, you will see little plus signs next to each holding. You can click on them individually or click the Expand All button at the bottom to see the tax lots for each holding. For selling in taxable accounts, you may want to choose the highest-cost (least % gain) lots in order to minimize capital gains exposure.
  • sploosh
    sploosh Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I've seen that feature. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.