Updating including Bank payments scheduled for the next month?

Updated my checking account yesterday and included in my update were schedule checks that will be sent next month by my Bank.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So after downloading from the bank you saw future-dated transactions included in the "Downloaded Transactions" window below the register or, if you've activated auto-accept, you saw these future dated transactions in your register?  Is that correct?
    Had you manually entered these future dated transactions in the register, and if so were the future-dated transactions registered as a "Match?"
    What's the name of the bank involved?
  • NanaD
    NanaD Member
    The name of my bank is Fifth Third. I had the future checks scheduled for the bank to mail the checks. This is a repeating schedule as I have several bills that are the same amount each month for the entire year. Yes I believe I had activated the auto-accept and they were actually entered on my checking account in Quicken and no I had not manually entered these in the register as I have no idea what check number the bank will be using. All I get is a email Notification from Fifth Third that they are scheduled and the date they are due.
  • Tom Young
    I probably should have asked if this is "new behavior", i.e., you've been doing this "scheduling" for a while now, without these future transactions showing up in downloads?  I assumed as much since I wouldn't expect a bank to include future transactions routinely in downloads. 
    Looking at the Fifth Third entry in the fidir.txt file:
    53292    53292    53292    Fifth Third Bank    https://www.53.com/content/fifth-third/en/login.html    1-800-972-3030    https://www.53.com/content/fifth-third/en/login.html    ACTIVE    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT    BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT         BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA
    It looks like downloads can happen using a variety of methods.  Direct Connect is, in my opinion the most reliable, along with Web Connect.  Express Web Connect however is, in my opinion, less reliable and more error prone.  How have these downloads been getting into your Quicken file?  (Edit the Account, click the Online Services tab and you can see what methods in use.) 
    If the method is Direct Connect then seeing these future entries should be entirely the bank's fault as they construct the OFX file that Quicken fetches from their site.  You should be able to see see them in the OFX file itself: (Help > Log files > OFX Log)
    If the method is Express Web Connect then determining who's at fault is more difficult but a common problem here is that the bank changes something on their web site and doesn't tell Quicken about the change, so the "script" Quicken writes to fetch this information scoops up the wrong information.  If the download method is Express Web Connect you might want to change that to Direct Connect.  If you choose to go that route turn off automatic entry before making the change.  That way the inevitable duplicate entries that will show up with the first download will be held in the Downloaded Transactions window below the register where they are more easily deleted.
  • NanaD
    NanaD Member
    Thank you for your input Tom I have Direct Connect to Fifth Third Bank and changed it from Automatic Entry to I'll review per your suggestion. Now I have another question What About the one using general account preference that applies to all bank methods.
    I have been a Quicken user since 1995 and with Fifth Third since 2007 and have never had this happen before and always have had the Automatic Entry On and this has just recently occurring.
  • Tom Young
    I don't think that automatically accepting transactions has anything to do with receiving future-dated transactions.  I mentioned turning that feature off only if you were going to change download methods; that would make it much easier to deal with duplicate downloaded transactions.
    If the connection is Direct Connect then that indicates to me that the problem is on Fifth Third Bank's end.  The bank constructs the OFX log that Quicken downloads and the program simply (and largely mindlessly) slots those transactions into your file.  You should be able to confirm if that's the case by looking into the OFX log.  I'd expect you'd see those future-dated transactions in there.
    You might call Fifth Third Bank and ask to speak to their Quicken guru about the issue to see if something on their end got messed up, or if they made some decision to start including these future transactions for some reason.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If online Billpay via Quicken is enabled for the account, you will get the future-dated payment instructions downloaded you your account register.

If automatic entry is off, the payment instructions will be shown in the Dowloaded Transactions pane before the downloaded transactions are shown. It's 2 step process - payment instructions, then downloaded transactions. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NanaD
    NanaD Member
    I wasn't using online Billpay via Quicken. My payments were scheduled online through my financial institution but thank you for your input. I had already turned off the automatic entry and is working fine now. No more future payments showing up.
This discussion has been closed.