Printing Annual Ledger? (Q Mac)

Steven Reiss
Steven Reiss Member ✭✭✭
edited February 2022 in Reports (Mac)
Can anyone please tell me how to print the Quicken ledger (Report)?for the past fiscal year? There used to be a command for this in the menu BUT it seems to be no longer available?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone please tell me how to print the Quicken ledger (Report)?for the past fiscal year? There used to be a command for this in the menu BUT it seems to be no longer available?
    Hello @Steven Reiss

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community for discussion.

You should be able to print the report by opening the Quicken software and then clicking on the Reports tab in the upper central portion of the Quicken window. From here, you would then open the report you were seeking to print, and - with the Quicken window containing this report still open - you would navigate to File > Print, near the end of the drop-down menu. Finally, click Print after confirming that the device in the queue is correct.

I hope this is helpful, and look forward to hearing more from you here on the Quicken Community. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022
    It's not clear what report you're looking for, as I don't remember there ever being a "ledger" report. I am guessing that by "ledger" you're looking for a list of every transaction for the prior year?

If you're looking to do this for a single account, such as your checking account, you can click on that account in the left sidebar, set the date filter to Last Year, Select All transactions, and Print.

If you're looking to do this for all accounts or multiple accounts, click Reports at the top of the screen and select Transaction. You now have the choice of sorting the report by Account or by Category. Select the appropriate report, set the date range to Last Year, and Print.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    edited February 2022
    EDIT: Here's more detail since you provided more information about what you're trying to accomplish in another thread which a moderator has merged into this one without capturing the additional details you provided in your other post.

You can print a report either from the account register or from Reports. For the former, click on the the account in the left sidebar, and set the date filter to Last Year:

This will make the register show only last year's transactions. Click on any transaction so it's highlighted, and Select All (either Command-A or pull down the Edit menu and select Select All). 

Now you can click the Print icon on the bottom toolbar, or pull down the File menu to select Print, or press Command-P, Press OK in the following dialog box to print the register.

This report doesn't give you control over formatting, such as which columns to show or hide, so another approach is to generate and print a Report.

Click Reports at the top of the screen and select Transaction. You now have the choice of sorting the report by Date or by Category. To have a report sorted by Category, select Category, set the date range to Last Year, and Print. If you want t airport off all transactions in date order instead, in Reports, click Create New Report, click Transaction, select Row = Time, and select Time Interval = None. Click Continue to Customize, set the date range to Last Year, and click OK. View the report on screen, and if you wish to change the columns — such as adding the Memo column — click the View icon, select Columns, and add (re remove) any accounts you wish. You can also widen or narrow any of the columns by dragging on the column header borders. Then Print.

(Note: both of these approaches will list not only every transaction but every split on a separate line. There is no way to suppress the split lines. If you need a way around this, post back, and I can describe how you can get a transaction-only report by exporting to a spreadsheet.)
  • jacobs
    edited February 2022
    [EDIT: I removed this post of mine because it referenced a post by a moderator which the moderator has deleted.]
  • Steven Reiss
    Steven Reiss Member ✭✭✭
    Aha, my thanks to you ALL.....saved me again. We're hardly General Motors so the ledger is pretty simple and stark.......my sincere thanks to Jacobs and Jared........Happy New Year, you guys!!!
  • Steven Reiss
    Steven Reiss Member ✭✭✭
    One more question: just suppose that I wanted to print the register out vertically formatted on the pages AND don't need the "Category" column at all.......

Possible? Since our business is so simple, all we need is the date, the payee, the amount of each transaction and the balance based on that transaction.......this used to be the default in the older quicken.....too many choices for me makes things harder.
  • jacobs
    @Steven Reiss If you use the Report method described above, then you can eliminate the Category column as described above by clicking View > Columns. And you can control the orientation of the report in the Print dialog box; simply change Orientation from horizontal (landscape) to vertical (portrait) by clicking the appropriate icon.

If you are not seeing this or something similar in your Print dialog box, click the Show Details button at the bottom of the Print dialog box. 

• Steven Reiss
    Steven Reiss Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much, Jacobs! You're a wealth of info, all of it valuable......

Steve
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    To add a bit to @jacobs answer: You can also use the print-a-register functionality to print transactions for multiple accounts:
    1. Select a group register in the sidebar that includes the accounts you want to print. For example, select Credit Cards for all credit cards. Select Banking for all cash, checking, savings and credit cards accounts but leaving out investment and asset accounts. If you want to include hidden accounts, use the All Transactions register.
    2. Click the Date filter and select Last Year
    3. Click the Accounts filter and select any subset of the accounts in the group if you don't want to include all of them.
    4. Click menu File > Print

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    @RickO Steven has posted two different threads, and in the other one, he said he only had a single account in Quicken. A moderator merged the threads but lost the details in that post from the other thread. But that's why my reply above addressed only a single account. ;)
  • Steven Reiss
    Steven Reiss Member ✭✭✭
    One more question, please guys, and be patient...... In my old Quicken 2007, the "acct balance" column was visible along with the other columns that I wanted like check #, etc. After adjusting the prefs in the "columns" pop up, I did not see the desired acct. balance on every line......is this no longer available? It made my "ledger" now called "report" much easier for me to see how every "inflow" and "outflow" entry affected the balance on that specific date.......hope I explained myself properly.....

Thoughts if you're still seeing my posts?

Thanks,

Steve
  • jacobs
    I'm not clear what you're asking. The running account balance should be visible in your account register. Is it?

If you are selecting transactions in your account register and printing the register, then the account balance will be visible. 

If you are talking about a report you created from the Reports section of the program, there will be no account balance visible, because it will be a list of transactions, not an account register. 

• RickO
    Also, make sure you have not selected one of the group registers in the sidebar. Those registers, which contain the transactions for multiple accounts, do not have a balance column. A group register might only contain a single account, and if it is collapsed, you may not notice. In that case, click the three dot (...) icon at the top of the sidebar and select Expand All Sidebar Groups to be sure you can see the actual individual account's register.
  • Steven Reiss
    Steven Reiss Member ✭✭✭
    Color me embarrassed! I called the old Q2007 file a "ledger" instead of a "register" .........words have meaning.

I played around and actually got the page to look as I had gotten used to in Q2007. Now comes the tedious part.........actually getting ready for tax filing season.....

All good here, less self respect that I had when I first tried to print the register.......and that was pretty low to begin with. Got confused with "inflow and outflow" instead of them being payment and deposit.

Nothing has changed now......just like my old Q2007.

Wait for my post to become visible before you all laugh at an older fellow......

Thanks so much,

Steve
  • RickO
    Wait for my post to become visible before you all laugh at an older fellow......

No laughing here. Many of us SUs are older folks and have been similarly befuddled at one time or another.
  • jacobs
    @Steven Reiss I'm glad you got it sorted out and working for you! This is a great example of what this forum exists for: a community of Quicken users helping fellow users solve problems or learn how to use the program. :) 
  • Steven Reiss
    Steven Reiss Member ✭✭✭
    Hello thee!

This community and notably you, RickO and Jared, really have been so responsive and so fast to reply to my cries of helpppppp! The really scary thing is that I never learned to balance a checkbook and bluffed my way thru adult life until I found Quicken which relay made it so much easier for me to look like I knew what I was doing. The scary thing is that, even at 74, I'm still product designing and engineering and generally am keeping up with the content "updates" that my software bombards me with......usually NOT improving the user experience but testing one's memory as to "where was that tool that I used to use but now, in this "improved" version, has either disappeared or been renamed and moved.......it must be loads of fun for "kids" to hunt and peck but the older users eventually either jump or get pushed off the tech carousel.....

A long way of reiterating "THANKS TO ALL".......

Happy New Year and stay healthy and safe!
This discussion has been closed.