Have QMac 2004 - Which quicken Mac product should I buy to run on Mac M1 ?

gronbachbd
gronbachbd Member
I'm using presently Quicken for Mac 2004 for banking and upgrading to a Mac mini M1.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well - what version are you currently using ?
    Quicken is avail for both Win and Mac - and the versions are - Starter, Deluxe, & Premier.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Are you using Quicken Mac 2004 or Quicken Windows 2004? Then we can advise on the possible upgrade path for your existing data which lies ahead. (It may be difficult depending on whether you're currently on Mac or Windows.) 

As for which product you'll want, if depends what features you use. you indicate you're using it for banking. Does that mean no investments, no loans, no budget — just bank accounts and possibly credit card accounts? If you won't be wanting to use Quicken's online bill payment services, then the basic Quicken Starter would likely fit your needs. I generally recommend Quicken Deluxe for most people. Now that Quicken is sold by annual subscription, it is possible to continue using Quicken Deluxe if you let your subscription expire, but that it not possible with Quicken Starter. You may want to review this comparison chart for more information about the differences between Starter, Deluxe and Premier.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @gronbachbd Since you are using Quicken 2004, you have a bit of a challenge if you want to bring your data into the current Quicken Mac. The current Quicken Mac can only import from Quicken 2007, not Quicken 2004. It sounds like you still have your old Mac. What version of macOS are you running? Snow Leopard (10.6.8)? If so, you will need to find someone who has a copy of the original (16.0.x) version of Quicken 2007 (not the macOS Lion and beyond updated 16.1.x or 16.2.x version). You can sometimes find this on eBay or other resale sites. If you can install Quicken 2007, it will import your Quicken 2004 data file and update it to Quicken 2007 format; then you will be able to move the .qdfm file to your new M1 Mac, install the current Quicken Mac software, and have it open and import your Quicken 2007 data file. 

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Well - what version are you currently using ?
    Quicken is avail for both Win and Mac - and the versions are - Starter, Deluxe, & Premier.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Are you using Quicken Mac 2004 or Quicken Windows 2004? Then we can advise on the possible upgrade path for your existing data which lies ahead. (It may be difficult depending on whether you're currently on Mac or Windows.) 

As for which product you'll want, if depends what features you use. you indicate you're using it for banking. Does that mean no investments, no loans, no budget — just bank accounts and possibly credit card accounts? If you won't be wanting to use Quicken's online bill payment services, then the basic Quicken Starter would likely fit your needs. I generally recommend Quicken Deluxe for most people. Now that Quicken is sold by annual subscription, it is possible to continue using Quicken Deluxe if you let your subscription expire, but that it not possible with Quicken Starter. You may want to review this comparison chart for more information about the differences between Starter, Deluxe and Premier.
  • I'm using Quicken Mac 2004 version 13.0.2 - R3. Thank you for your recommendation. Quicken Starter is what I will purchase.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    gronbachbd said: I'm using Quicken Mac 2004 - Quicken Starter is what I will purchase.
    just to clarify what @jacobs mentioned above....
    ALL the current versions are now 1yr subscriptions, that enable online access and downloading.
    If you let your subscription expire, your Quicken screen will have a LARGE area with a "renew ad" taking up space.
    Also, for the STARTER version - if you let it expire, your Quicken data file becomes Read/Only.....
    This is not true for the Deluxe version.
    Just wanted to put the EXPIRATION warning out there....
    And lastly - Quicken has also created a new web-based subscription product - https://www.quicken.com/simplifi/
    Unfortunately, it is not data compatible with Quicken, so you are forced to start all new.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @gronbachbd Since you are using Quicken 2004, you have a bit of a challenge if you want to bring your data into the current Quicken Mac. The current Quicken Mac can only import from Quicken 2007, not Quicken 2004. It sounds like you still have your old Mac. What version of macOS are you running? Snow Leopard (10.6.8)? If so, you will need to find someone who has a copy of the original (16.0.x) version of Quicken 2007 (not the macOS Lion and beyond updated 16.1.x or 16.2.x version). You can sometimes find this on eBay or other resale sites. If you can install Quicken 2007, it will import your Quicken 2004 data file and update it to Quicken 2007 format; then you will be able to move the .qdfm file to your new M1 Mac, install the current Quicken Mac software, and have it open and import your Quicken 2007 data file. 
  • Thanks for the tip on Quicken 2007, I will follow the information you suggested. Quicken was running a sale on Deluxe 10% off so I purchased it.
This discussion has been closed.