When I check Write Checks, I do not get the place where I enter payee, amount, etc. (Q Mac)

John Manzo
John Manzo Member ✭✭
When I check Write Checks, I do not get the place where I enter payee, amount, etc.

Answers

• John Manzo
    John Manzo Member ✭✭
    When I check Write Checks, I do not get the place where I enter payee, amount, etc.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Windows or Mac? On the Mac, you enter the check information in the checking account register & put "PRINT" in the check number column, then select "Print Checks" from the File menu. I don't see any other way to print checks.

Don't know how it works in Windows.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Jon You don't even need to do that; you just select Write Checks from the Transactions menu. It opens a facsimile of a check that can be filled out, including the Payee address.

@John Manzo How are you trying to enter the check to print? There are two ways to do it: as Jon said above, you can enter a regular transaction in your checking account register and put "PRINT" in the Check number column. (If you need to enter the Payee address, select Edit Details, then click on the Print Check tab.) Or, while in your checking account, you can select Write Checks from the Transactions menu. Either way should allow you to enter the Payee, Category, Memo, Amount.

If you're not seeing that, please describe exactly what you are trying to do and what you're seeing. For instance, if Transactions > Write Checks is grayed out, you have clicked on an account group, like Cash, in the left sidebar, rather than your actual checking account. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John Manzo
    John Manzo Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Jon and Jacobs. What I have done for a long time is the second method: I go to Transactions and click Write Checks, whereupon a facsimile check appears and I enter the payee, amount, etc. However, beginning today, when I click Write Checks, the facsimile does NOT appear.
  • jacobs
    Its working for me. I am still thinking that you may have clicked on the Cash group heading in the left sidebar rather than your actual checking account. At the top of the register does it say Cash or have the name of your checking account? 
  • John Manzo
    John Manzo Member ✭✭
    I will check out the group in the left sidebar; however, now I cannot even get Quicken to open. Never happened before. I restarted and still not opening. And, yes, I have a Mac.
  • jacobs
    You restarted your Mac, and Quicken won't launch? Try holding down the Shift key while launching; does it launch and ask you if you want to open your previous file, or does it not get that far?
  • ssg978
    ssg978 Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > @Jon You don't even need to do that; you just select Write Checks from the Transactions menu. It opens a facsimile of a check that can be filled out, including the Payee address.
    >
    > @John Manzo How are you trying to enter the check to print? There are two ways to do it: as Jon said above, you can enter a regular transaction in your checking account register and put "PRINT" in the Check number column. (If you need to enter the Payee address, select Edit Details, then click on the Print Check tab.) Or, while in your checking account, you can select Write Checks from the Transactions menu. Either way should allow you to enter the Payee, Category, Memo, Amount.
    >
    > If you're not seeing that, please describe exactly what you are trying to do and what you're seeing. For instance, if Transactions > Write Checks is grayed out, you have clicked on an account group, like Cash, in the left sidebar, rather than your actual checking account. 

The problem for many of us is, that when we open "Write a check" (to print & mail) and uncheck the "SEND" box, it is "hit or miss" with whether or not the software will allow the user to enter an address in the proper box ON THE CHECK!
    While most of my payments are indeed sent electronically, I still have a need to print and hand or print and mail checks under some circumstances. Thus, it is extremely frustrating that the software automatically defaults to an Online Payee, then, even when unchecking that box, it still refuses to allow access to the Address Box!
  • John Manzo
    John Manzo Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone! I was on the phone with Quicken and they solved my problem.
This discussion has been closed.