Latest Update [Version 6.5.1 (Build 605.42638.100)] has messed up my data -- HELP!!!

FrankJMcNeal
FrankJMcNeal Member
After updating to 6.5.1 and synchronizing my online accounts, all my balances are WAY wrong. For example, I now have a positive $137K in one of my credit card accounts (which is very, very wrong). This is very disappointing. Quicken is no officially useless to me, and all me data from the past three years makes no sense.

Answers

• I'm having the same issue! I have restored from backup and and corrected my data but with every-download it is wrong again. I then tried resetting the cloud connection (from a suggestion here) and it is way worse now! I'm thinking about reinstalling Quicken to see if that helps. I'm SO Frustrated!
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    After updating to 6.5.1 and synchronizing my online accounts, all my balances are WAY wrong. For example, I now have a positive $137K in one of my credit card accounts (which is very, very wrong). This is very disappointing. Quicken is no officially useless to me, and all me data from the past three years makes no sense.
    Hello @FrankJMcNeal

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with balances. Thank you for reaching out to speak with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

I recommend saving from backups often and whenever possible by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the top of the screen while the Quicken app is open. In this case, it could be very helpful to restore from a backup just prior to the most recent update, given that you have been saving your backups regularly. You would go to the same menu and select File > Restore from Backup then choose one of the data files designated as being saved before the most recent update, click Choose and then Restore.

I hope to hear back from you regarding any further developments. 

@Jillian0328,

I apologize that this issue is affecting you as well, and that it remains unresolved. Were you able to try uninstalling and reinstalling the application? If you should get the chance, I would be eager to hear about any new developments in this situation.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Hi Jared. I did restore from a backup. Unfortunately, when using the new version of Quicken, the balances are incorrect when I convert to the Cloud (which is required for some reason), or I upload online account data. It appears to be double-counting all my credit card payments. Once when it is deducted from my checking account, and again when it is credited to the credit card account. It appears the withdrawal and credit are not being reconciled correctly.
  • Quicken Jared
    Hi Jared. I did restore from a backup. Unfortunately, when using the new version of Quicken, the balances are incorrect when I convert to the Cloud (which is required for some reason), or I upload online account data. It appears to be double-counting all my credit card payments. Once when it is deducted from my checking account, and again when it is credited to the credit card account. It appears the withdrawal and credit are not being reconciled correctly.
    @FrankMcNeal,

Thank you for keeping in touch. I am grateful for the updates and I hope to continue working with you on this. 

Am I understanding that you are now seeing duplicate transactions in your credit card account? Be sure to save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup in the menu at the upper menu in the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Next, disconnect the credit card account by selecting it in the left-hand panel and going to Settings > Downloads via the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner of the Quicken window. Click Disconnect Account and then delete the copy transactions by right-clicking or control-clicking each of them and deleting them. 

I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken software and try linking your accounts again, keeping an eye out for any of these issues.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Hello @FrankMcNeal. Did you resolve this issue? I am having the same problem. What ended up working for you please?
  • gmolar76
    gmolar76 Member
    NO ! ... This has happened before and from what I have been seeing is that their solution is to do what I have been doing by going through each acct and manually fixing it. Going thru 15+ accounts is not fun. Believe it or not I was using Quicken 2007 until last year. Their last best version. The reports & versatility were so much better and the new versions suck.
  • gmolar76
    gmolar76 Member
    Definitely a problem when transactions are posted that don't even belong to the right account.
  • Nope... Not corrected :(
  • Quicken Jared
    Nope... Not corrected :(
    Hello @FrankJMcNeal,

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue with duplicate transactions. Thank you for keeping in touch with the Quicken Community about this situation. 

I have a couple of questions regarding what is happening at the moment. First, is this happening across multiple accounts, and are these associated with one particular financial institution? Also, what connection method are you using? You can check this by selecting one of the affected accounts - if there are more than one - and then navigating to Accounts > Settings > Downloads in the menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. 

Lastly, I also wanted to check the location of your active data file. You can see where the data file you are using is located by going to File > Show "(data file name will be displayed here)" in Finder in the same upper menu mentioned before. 

I look forward to any response you may be able to provide, should you have an opportunity to check back in with us here on the Quicken Community. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • gmolar76
    gmolar76 Member
    When I updated, some of my accounts ended up with balances of between 4-5 MILLION $$$ ! To bad its not real
  • Hi Jared--

Is this happening across multiple accounts, and are these associated with one particular financial institution?

--This is happening across all Credit Card accounts (multiple financial institutions)

What connection method are you using?

--Connection Type: Direct Connect

Location of your active data file?

--/iCloud Drive/Documents/Finances

Frank McNeal
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Location of your active data file?
    --/iCloud Drive/Documents/Finances

@FrankJMcNeal And there's your smoking gun! Quicken does not support storing your data file on any cloud storage service, because all sorts of weird things happen due to the way the cloud services sync pieces of files between your local machine and their cloud storage. iCloud and Dropbox should never be used for storing your active data file. (They're fine for storing backups, though.) 

You have a few options. You could turn off having iCloud Drive store your Desktop and Documents folders, and then copy those files back to your local Mac. But you might like that feature of macOS, in which case you just need to create a new location on your hard drive for Quicken which is not stored on iCloud. One that I suggest is at the root level of your User or home folder. (That is: Macintosh HD > Users > your user home folder.) Create a Quicken folder here, in the same folder where there are folders for Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. It's quick and easy to get to, and won't have the problem of being on iCloud.

Of course, once you do this, you must make sure your data is being backed up. If you have an external drive, Time Machine handles this perfectly. you can also specify in Quicken Preferences to put your Quicken backups in a folder inside your Documents folder, so it's actually stored on iCloud.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • gmolar76
    gmolar76 Member
    Yeah ??? So my files are all on my HD and it still doesnt work right
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @gmolar76 I was replying to Frank and his post, not yours.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.