_RlzdGain showing in budget and cannot be removed

I track dividends and interest within my IRA account in my budget - so eliminating the account from my budget is not an option. I periodically rebalance positions in that account. I.e., there are sells and buys that cancel each other out.

For some reason Quicken *automatically* adds an income budget category called _RlzdGain, which shows the gross amount of my sales (so Quicken calling it _RlzdGain is pretty dumb). First question: can I eliminate this category from my budget?

Additionally, while Quicken *automatically* adds an income budget category for the sales, Quicken inexplicably omits from the expense side of the budget the follow on purchases I made with the proceeds from the above mentioned sales. Second question: if I can't eliminate the above mentioned (and stupidly labeled) _RlzdGain category, then how do I at least add a category to capture the expense from the purchases so the cash flow is zeroed out?

Thank you.

Comments

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you can remove it from the budget.  Under Manage Budget Categories at the bottom click the box next to "Show Hidden Categories".  Now when you look under Personal Income you should see it and be able to de-select it.
  • doglesby17
    doglesby17 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2022
    I didn't know you could do that so thanks...but it didn't solve the issue. It just shifted the _RlzdGain budget line item to the "Everything Else" section and Quicken is still including the sales proceeds as income and without matching purchases as expenses. So I'm still where I was before. Any other suggestions?
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get rid of everything else by only picking categories at the lowest level. The higher level categories will then automatically show up but not everything else. Everything else is a "plug" number to balance your detail categories to your higher level so if you don't pick the higher level it doesn't need to use it
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What view are you using, because Everything Else works differently in the Graph View and the Annual View.?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • doglesby17
    doglesby17 Member ✭✭
    I'm using the graph view. I went to the annual view because you mentioned it was handled differently and I found that I could right-click and remove the Everything Else category from the annual view. Thanks for steering me there.

But I guess I'm now going to have to use *only* the annual view because Everything Else remains in the graph view and that view is polluted by bad data because Quicken has decided that gross sales proceeds should be included as income but gross purchases should not be included as expenses. That programming decision means the budget is broken. If there's a way to rectify that I will do cartwheels. Rhetorical question: who at Quicken thinks that implementation makes sense?

FYI that Quicken for Mac's budget tool doesn't have Everything Else (you have to use reporting to find spending outside the budget categories)...and it also doesn't treat investment sales as income in the budget.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

> @Chris_QPW said:
    > What view are you using, because Everything Else works differently in the Graph View and the Annual View.?
  • doglesby17
    doglesby17 Member ✭✭
    > @bmciance said:
    > You can get rid of everything else by only picking categories at the lowest level. The higher level categories will then automatically show up but not everything else. Everything else is a "plug" number to balance your detail categories to your higher level so if you don't pick the higher level it doesn't need to use it

Thank you for assisting me. I appreciate it. Eliminating parent categories doesn't work for me. For example, I budget for out of pocket healthcare expenses (parent category). I have sub-categories for physician, prescriptions, vision, and dental. For budgeting purposes I only care how much I spend. But I'm interested in where that money is going so I sub-categorize my transactions. I suppose I could use tags instead of sub-categories but I have years of data and the lack of nested tags is a deal-breaker.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest that you run Validate and Repair because on my testing _RlzdGain isn't included in Everything Else even in the Graph View.

And here is what it looks like if I do add it:

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oops.  My mistake.  I was looking at a month that didn't have any realized gains.  Once I switched the Graph View to such a month it did popup in the Everything Else.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And for the record the main difference in handling of Everything Else between the Graph and Annual views is that with the Annual view as you have seen you can better control when it shows up, whereas with the Graph view it is always there as long as there is any transaction in any category that you haven't included in your budget.  It really needs to be optional.  And I hope for the Quicken Mac users that want that feature they do implement it in a way that it is optional.

Note that the budget reports don't have Everything Else, or Rollovers.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If it only included realized gains from taxable accounts I might see the point of it, but it is including from all accounts.  I suppose this could be reported as a bug: Help -> Report a problem
    Signature:
  • doglesby17
    doglesby17 Member ✭✭
    I'll have to try the budget reports. Haven't done that yet. Thanks again.

> @Chris_QPW said:
    > And for the record the main difference in handling of Everything Else between the Graph and Annual views is that with the Annual view as you have seen you can better control when it shows up, whereas with the Graph view it is always there as long as there is any transaction in any category that you haven't included in your budget.  It really needs to be optional.  And I hope for the Quicken Mac users that want that feature they do implement it in a way that it is optional.
    >
    > Note that the budget reports don't have Everything Else, or Rollovers.
This discussion has been closed.