Checking subgroup in sidebar disappeared.

vcwine
vcwine Member
My checking accounts in the sidebar subgroups suddenly disappeared. They were added to the cash subgroup. When I edited my checking accounts and chose 'checking' in the drop down menu, they remained in cash subgroup. I've tried renaming many different accounts and the 'checking' option does not seem to work. Is there a fix for this?
Tagged:

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    In the sidebar, click the three dot icon (...), then click Expand All Sidebar Groups. You should again see your Checking account in the Cash group.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • vcwine
    vcwine Member
    Thanks for the tip Rick, but I have tried that. When I expand all the subgroups appear except 'checking', even when chosen in 'edit accounts'. Seems to be some sort of glitch.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There is no sub-group called checking. Checking accounts appear under the Cash sub-group. Are you saying your checking accounts have completely disappeared from Quicken? Go to Accounts > Hide & Show Accounts to see if the accounts are there. Are the accounts clicked in the "Hide in Lists" or "Keep Separate" column; if so, uncheck those.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • vcwine
    vcwine Member
    Thank you Jacobs. My checking account info is intact and on the sidebar, but it is under the cash sub-group as you indicated. I did have a checking sub-group up until about a week ago; it may have disappeared during a recent update. To be honest, it's not such a big deal. It's more of an inconvenience because my checking accounts are now commingled with separate cash accounts while the savings accounts, credit card accounts, etc. remained separate. If you go to 'edit settings' by right-clicking on a selected account in the sidebar, 'checking' is still listed as a choice in the drop down menu, but if you click on it, it does nothing. What I have done is simply changed the type of account to savings, so they show up together with savings accounts from the same bank (since Quicken defaults to an alphabetical list) and, hence, makes them easier to find.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Actually, there has never been a sub-group labeled checking going back as far as the debut of the modern Quicken Mac in 2014; checking accounts have always been under the Cash sub-group. (I've always thought the developers erred in combining cash and checking accounts under the Cash heading and breaking our savings accounts under the Savings heading. All three types of accounts are "cash" accounts, but why not have headings for Checking, Savings and Cash?)

One thing you can do instead of intentionally mis-labeling your checking accounts as savings accounts is to leave them as checking accounts add a numerical prefix to your checking and cash accounts to keep them separate. For instance, in my sidebar, I have:

1-XYZ Checking
       2-ABC Checking
       3-Cash (me)
       4-Cash (my wife)

My number one account is my primary checking account. I only have two, but this system works well even if you have many checking accounts, and it lets you put them in the order you want instead of alphabetically. If you have a lot of checking an cash account, you might want to use a different prefix for cash accounts, so your checking accounts are 1- up to 8- and your cash accounts are 91- up to 99-.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.