Unable to connect with bank

I've had Quicken for Mac for quite a few years now but have never reported any problems, but there are many. My frustration today is has been a regularly occurring one. When updating, Quicken is unable to connect to my most often used bank account though I can connect to it directly.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

In case of transaction download problems

Please provide more details.

What edition level (Starter Edition, Deluxe, etc.), version and release of Quicken (R xx.xx)  are you using? Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to determine year/version and release.  You must be on the latest release (patch) level for your supported Quicken Subscription version. If you're missing patches, update your software first.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?
    What error codes, error messages, symptoms do you get?
    What bank(s) are you having issues with?
    What account types (checking, savings, etc.) are you having issues with?
    Does this problem occur when you run One Step Update from your desktop/laptop or when you initiate a download using the Quicken Mobile App or Quicken on the Web?
    What have you tried so far to resolve the issue?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    No one can offer any help or suggestions without more information. Particularly: which bank? Also: what Connection Method (Quicken Connect, Direct Connect?) is showing in the Settings for this account. Also: what version of Quicken are you using, and what version of macOS? 

Are you indicating that this is a problem that comes and goes; that is, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. When it doesn't connect correctly, what exactly happens. Do you get any error message, and if so, what does it say? 

Just for your understanding, the website you log into as a consumer to see your account data is most likely different than the one Quicken connects to in order to download your data. So just because you can log in as yourself, Quicken is not doing the same thing. It's not unusual for banks to limit or entirely block traffic from third-party applications like Quicken if they want to lighten the load on their servers. (The error message you get might shed light on whether this is what's happening.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • I'm not asking for help. I fixed it. I'm just getting tired of continuous problems. For the record I have Quicken Deluxe with the most current update (which appears to be when new problems occur after an update) and Mac OS Monterey 12.1 with most current update.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Karma over Dogma Just for the future, you should know that updates to the Quicken program itself are rarely the cause of connectivity problems. Since connectivity is handled at the server level, almost all connectivity problems are due to the code running on the servers. Many people think that a problem which occurs around the time of a program update indicates a flaw in the update, and while that is sometimes the case, it's not normally the case.

Because Quicken works with thousands of financial institutions, and those banks and brokerages are constantly making website and login changes for security and enhancement reasons, there are always financial institutions with Quicken connection/download problems. Quicken's connectivity provider, Intuit, is always working on fixing the things they control, and working with banks on things banks must fix. Some Quicken users may go years without a problem with their bank, while it seems some banks pop up with connectivity problems a few times a year. Connecting to financial institutions as a third-party program is fraught with difficulties because the industry has only limited standards which do not go far enough to make it a seamless process. Some just banks don't care about Quicken or similar programs, because they aren't used by the majority of their customers, or they want to encourage their customers to use their own website for electronic banking. While we all want it to "just work", the more I've learned about how the sausage is made, the more amazed I am that it works at all!

Anyhow, if you're posting here to vent your frustration, just know that this forum is read by fellow Quicken users and a very small team of Quicken moderators -- but not the programmers or the executives you probably want to vent to. ;)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.