How do you delete payees, tags, and accounts and not effect previous year's transactions?

Options
Scott8
Scott8 Member ✭✭
I have several years of transactions and I want to delete payees I no longer use or who have gone bankrupt. I also want to get rid of old closed accounts, unused categories and old and unused tags without affecting previous years stored transactions? Since we don't have the option in the Mac Version to start a new year, how do you get rid of these old things?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For Payees, do you want to change the historical transactions, or just remove the Payee from popping up in your Payee selection list as you'r entering transactions? You can't delete an old Payee, because it would leave the original transactions which used that Payee with an undefined Payee. But in the Payees list, you can mark Payees as Hidden; that won't change old transactions, but will prevent that Payee from showing up in the list as you're entering transactions. 

If you really want to get rid of old Payees, you can merge old Payees into a Payee you call something like "Deleted Payee"; you could merge 20 or 100 or 500 Payees into that single Payee name. I wouldn't want to do this to my data; I'm just saying it can be done.

Accounts can be marked as Closed and Hidden, which won't delete any transactions or details, but will keep them (mostly) out of sight.

Tags and categories can't be hidden like Payees. You have a few options. You could find all transactions for Tag="xxx" and bulk edit them to have no Tag; once no transactions use "xxx", you could delete the tag. Same for categories. Or, you could merge multiple tags into one tag like "Old". Same for categories. But all of these changes will change your past transactions which used Tags or Payees you change into something else. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For Payees, do you want to change the historical transactions, or just remove the Payee from popping up in your Payee selection list as you'r entering transactions? You can't delete an old Payee, because it would leave the original transactions which used that Payee with an undefined Payee. But in the Payees list, you can mark Payees as Hidden; that won't change old transactions, but will prevent that Payee from showing up in the list as you're entering transactions. 

If you really want to get rid of old Payees, you can merge old Payees into a Payee you call something like "Deleted Payee"; you could merge 20 or 100 or 500 Payees into that single Payee name. I wouldn't want to do this to my data; I'm just saying it can be done.

Accounts can be marked as Closed and Hidden, which won't delete any transactions or details, but will keep them (mostly) out of sight.

Tags and categories can't be hidden like Payees. You have a few options. You could find all transactions for Tag="xxx" and bulk edit them to have no Tag; once no transactions use "xxx", you could delete the tag. Same for categories. Or, you could merge multiple tags into one tag like "Old". Same for categories. But all of these changes will change your past transactions which used Tags or Payees you change into something else. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    My question is why do you want to do this? If it is to make the file smaller, it is not necessary. The modern QMac database can handle very large file sizes and numbers of transactions. 

If it is to reduce clutter and get no-longer-used stuff out of the way, then I'd recommend using @jacobs suggestions. 

A couple of comments on those suggestions:
    1. Bulk edits: While you can bulk edit categories and tags in transactions, the bulk edits won't affect any categories or tags inside split transactions. These would have to be done manually. Therefore, I'd recommend using one of the other suggestions.
    2. If you merge tags or categories into a catchall "old" tag/category, or you just leave the old tags/categories as is, you can edit their names to start with a "z" (eg. zGroceries, zUtilities:Electric). This will sort them to the bottom of lists so they are out of the way when entering transactions.
    I don't recommend actually deleting any accounts or transactions. Who knows when you may want to look up something from some years ago. I do it all the time. Much easier to have it all in one file than to have to go back through a bunch of yearly files to find something. The real reason QWin has the start-new-year functionality is because of database corruption issues when the database gets large. QMac users, fortunately, don't have that issue.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Scott8
    Scott8 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks to both Jacobs and RickO- I appreciate the suggestions and will check them out, especially the hiding ability of payees. How I categorize by transactions are by fiscal year since they tie to my taxes, and other financial paperwork. It was easier in the Windows Version to start new years and have them separate from one another- a "clean break" from the past years and you can customize the items you wanted geared to each fiscal year. I think these are helpful workarounds, but why not build in a option, to allow customers to do new years if they prefer, and thus one doesn't need to do work arounds. This is especially true if other versions have this feature? Thank you all for the responses.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @Scott8  Every transaction register and every report in Quicken Mac allows you to set a date range, including a pre-defined Last Year or any custom date range you want. This allows users to get reports by calendar year for taxes and other financial needs. Is there something you're finding difficult to accomplish by using the date filters.

To me, separating data each year is using a sledgehammer for this issue. And it throws out one of the most useful things about Quicken, which is having all your historical financial data in one place and being able to search for transactions back in time. Legacy Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows had this feature created because their 1980s era databases could not handle the transaction volume, and avoid periodic data corruption, and there was a practical need to separate out data from time to time, but those reasons don't exist with modern Quicken Mac. So both the developers and users need to look at this issue through current-day eyes and evaluate if/why/when there's a need to separate data.

I do understand how for some users, making a "clean break" every once in awhile, particularly following "life events" — e.g. kids are grown and on their own, death of parent or spouse, divorce/re-marriage, moving to another part of the country — could be useful to get rid of accounts, categories, tags, or payees which belong to your prior life but not your current and future life. So I do believe the developers should add this capability. (But I'd still argue against doing it every year, and only using it if/when you need to do some major reorganization of your finance tracking. ;) )
This discussion has been closed.