Credit card transactions and payments

Thlamb3
Thlamb3 Member
I set up a credit card account in Quicken and when I look at the register, my charges decrease the outstanding balance and my payments to the card increase the outstanding balance. I have checked the account in the Account List to see if something looked wrong but cannot see anything that should be different in the setup.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    What you are seeing is normal.

Charges and payments in a credit card accounts work just like checks written and deposits in a checking account. In a credit card account, however, the balance is normally negative (red in the register).

Charges decrease your balance, normally making it more negative. Payments to the card increase the balance, making it less negative.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF your Balance figure in the account is BLACK, that means that either you've overpaid the account, OR the account is missing charge transactions ... I.E., a "credit balance".
    This would cause additional charges to make the balance smaller (less positive) until it finally went negative.  Payments would make the balance, in a "credit balance" situation, to grow bigger.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

First make sure you are sorted in Date order with the newest date at the bottom. If you are not then click the DATE Column heading to sort.

Sounds like you're running a credit balance. Is the balance in red or black? Look back through your transactions and maybe you'll spot one that was entered backward. Or a payment in the charge column or a charge in the payment column. Look around back where this first started happening.  Or maybe you are missing some charges? 

If the balance is in Black, it means you have a credit on the card.  Like if you overpaid the bill or got a refund for something you returned.   When you enter a charge it will reduce (decrease) the credit you have available on it.   And a payment will increase the balance.

Also make sure you have the right starting balance.  If it's zero you might need to add a beginning balance for when you started the account in Quicken.

The credit card balance you OWE should be in RED. If the balance is Black then it's showing the credit card company owes you and you have a credit balance. And then when you make a payment it's like the cc owes you more. So you need to go back though your entries and find where the balance switched to black to being in your favor.

See this for more info.....

https://www.quicken.com/support/positive-black-balance-credit-card-account

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.