How to reconcile double bank account files

EllenFR
EllenFR Member ✭✭
Did OneStepUpdate. All accounts and credit cards were in balance except the main bank account, which it kept hanging up on. My only solution at that point was to go to task manager and close Quicken that way. I rebooted and tried again. Same problem. Inspected the account in MyAccounts and it indicated I had to upgrade my connection to DirectConnect. So I clicked the link to do that. What it did was to create a second account with the account# appended. Two main problems with that was that it only downloaded transactions since 11/04/2021 (instead of 2016), and these were obviously without all the tweaks (categories, memos, etc.) that had been added each week. I then tried to copy all of the missing transactions, then removed the 11/04/20 - current and then copy and paste from original list for those dates. Doesn't balance by over 200,000. I discover it is missing all of the credit card payments. Try to isolate them from original file, copy and paste them into new account listing. Won't work because the original account has been marked unavailable. Now my main credit card is many thousands in the hole. Any ideas how to start correcting all of this? If only it had started the problem at the beginning of a tax year I might just ignore it and enter error corrections to get the accounts in balance. As it is I don't know where to start.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    When Quicken hangs or forces one to use Task Manager to close it, it is often due to a problem with a memory corruption of some sort.  Shutting down the computer and rebooting it will clear the memory and can often resolve the problem.
    I have never heard of Quicken forcing anyone to upgrade to Direct Connect.  It will advise if there is an improved connection method available but it will not force anyone to do that.  You do not need to upgrade if you do not want to do that.
    If, however, you are taken through the upgrade process to Direct Connect, make sure to carefully watch the set up process.  During the process you might be prompted to decide what to do with the data that is downloaded.  Make sure you Link it to the existing account in Quicken.  If you blow through it too fast you will probably set it up as a new account, instead.
    I look forward to hearing you report back here.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Do you have a recent backup file (from before the when the issues started) you can restore?  That would probably be a fast way and probably a more accurate way to recover the historical data.

• EllenFR
    EllenFR Member ✭✭
    Yes, I do. I guess I will give it a try, but am not sure I did anything I won't need to do again. I will post outcome.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    When Quicken hangs or forces one to use Task Manager to close it, it is often due to a problem with a memory corruption of some sort.  Shutting down the computer and rebooting it will clear the memory and can often resolve the problem.
    I have never heard of Quicken forcing anyone to upgrade to Direct Connect.  It will advise if there is an improved connection method available but it will not force anyone to do that.  You do not need to upgrade if you do not want to do that.
    If, however, you are taken through the upgrade process to Direct Connect, make sure to carefully watch the set up process.  During the process you might be prompted to decide what to do with the data that is downloaded.  Make sure you Link it to the existing account in Quicken.  If you blow through it too fast you will probably set it up as a new account, instead.
    I look forward to hearing you report back here.

• EllenFR
    EllenFR Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Boatnmaniac. You were correct--I had had a memory BSOC which I believe I have taken care of. I went back to previous backup and restored and almost all is happy. The only minor problem is a $500 transfer from one bank to another that is present in one account and not in the other. Don't know how that can happen. Finally just added an error correction entry to force a balance and all is well. Thank you for your help.
  • Boatnmaniac
    You are welcome @EllenFR .  I'm glad the issue is now resolved for you.
    Regarding that $500 transfer issue:  Take a look at the category for the transaction that does show up in the one account.  If that category field does not show the name of the other bank account enclosed in brackets (i.e., [name of the other bank account] ) you can enter it there and then it should show up in your other bank account as well.

This discussion has been closed.