can't edit the password vault

Procopio
Procopio Member ✭✭✭
I deactivated a bank account so it wouldn't download transactions. But it's still trying to download transactions. I confirmed it is deactivated - yup, deactivated. So I went to the password vault and the password is still saved there. But all the buttons are disabled. I can't add, change, or delete any of my passwords.

I would like to delete the password for the deactivated account. Does anyone know how I could do that?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Procopio said:
    I deactivated a bank account so it wouldn't download transactions. But it's still trying to download transactions. I confirmed it is deactivated - yup, deactivated. So I went to the password vault and the password is still saved there. But all the buttons are disabled. I can't add, change, or delete any of my passwords.

I would like to delete the password for the deactivated account. Does anyone know how I could do that?
    Hello @Procopio,

I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion you may have experienced. Thank you for speaking with us about this subject here on the Quicken Community and seeking additional information and support.

First, I want to be sure to remind you to save backups frequently whenever using Quicken, and especially before attempting any other troubleshooting. You can do this by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

Are all of the buttons in the Edit Password Vault screen greyed out? Typically, in order to delete a password from the vault, one would follow these steps:
    1. Select Tools > Password Vault.
    2. Choose Add or Edit Passwords...
    3. In the Edit Password Vault dialog box, select the bank for which you want to change a password.
    4. Click Delete Password.
    What is the Password Vault and how do I use it

I want to make sure I understand which options are currently removed when you are working in your Quicken software.

Also, have you deleted the account from Quicken?

I hope to hear back from you regarding this matter, and I intend to continue working with you on this here in this discussion.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Procopio
    Procopio Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Jared,

Yes, all three of the buttons are disabled. See screenshot. This is true for all my passwords, not just the one I'm trying to delete.

No, I haven't deleted the account from Quicken. I still have the account and want it to remain in Quicken, I just don't want to download transactions anymore.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Procopio said:
    Hi Jared,

Yes, all three of the buttons are disabled. See screenshot. This is true for all my passwords, not just the one I'm trying to delete.

No, I haven't deleted the account from Quicken. I still have the account and want it to remain in Quicken, I just don't want to download transactions anymore.
    @Procopio,    

Thank you so much for keeping in contact with me about this, and for the helpful screenshot. I am sorry that the issue persists.

Where is the data file you are operating this account in being stored? You can check this any time by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure that the file is not being kept on a cloud-based storage service or external drive, as operating a file from these locations can cause erratic program behavior as well as damage to the file itself.

I hope this is helpful, and I will continue to check back with you as often as possible about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Procopio
    Procopio Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Jared,

The data file is on my local computer, not the cloud.

I also tried Validate and Super Validate, but those options didn't help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Try clearing out the financial institution and username on the Account Details in the account.
    Right click on the account in the Account bar and select Edit/Delete account.

Note the password for Express Web Connect accounts isn't stored in the Password Vault, it is stored on the Quicken/Intuit servers.  That is why you can't delete it in the Password Vault.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As stated by @Chris_QPW the process of deactivating an Express Web - connected account should have updated the Quicken Servers and made the process stop accessing the bank every night.
    Are there any other accounts with the same bank and bank userID that are still activated for downloading? I'd check for other accounts, perhaps old, hidden, long closed ones that are still active and deactivate them, too. Once all accounts are down, the server won't access the bank any longer.
  • Procopio
    Procopio Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Thanks for your help everyone, but we're going to put this one in the stupid user column. I only deactivated one of my accounts with that bank. As soon as I deactivated the other account, all my problems went away.
This discussion has been closed.