Why doesn't Remove Shares recognize current value?

JPRex4
JPRex4 Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Investing (Windows)
The annualized return for an account can not be calculated after shares are removed using the Remove - Shares Removed dialog box since the growth of the stock while it is in the account is ignored. Obviously, the solution is to execute a sell transaction followed by a cash withdrawal, but why not fix the more intuitive approach so that the value is recognized?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I think you are mistaken about the value of the security not being included in the Average Annual Return calculation.

If you run an Investment Performance Report for a time period that includes the Remove date, you will see that the amount in the Return column is the market value of the security on the removal date. If you are seeing a different amount, check the security's price history for the removal date. 

If the shares were removed from one account and added to another, you can preserve Quicken's Average Annual Return calculation by including both accounts in the selection.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I think you are mistaken about the value of the security not being included in the Average Annual Return calculation.

If you run an Investment Performance Report for a time period that includes the Remove date, you will see that the amount in the Return column is the market value of the security on the removal date. If you are seeing a different amount, check the security's price history for the removal date. 

If the shares were removed from one account and added to another, you can preserve Quicken's Average Annual Return calculation by including both accounts in the selection.

QWin Premier subscription
  • JPRex4
    JPRex4 Member ✭✭
    Absolute right, Jim. That had occurred to me, but I failed to test it correctly. Thank you very much for a clear, and accurate, response.
This discussion has been closed.