Prompted to log-in to Quicken when changing data files

Stuart Boyle
Stuart Boyle Member ✭✭✭
Beginning within the past week or 2, when I switch from one Quicken data file to another it prompts me to enter my Quicken ID and password. However, if I close Quicken and then relaunch Quicken with my 2nd Quicken data file, it doesn't prompt me. Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello @Stuart Boyle, 

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. For this particular instance, I would recommend signing out completely from Quicken. 

This can be done by selecting Edit >Preferences >Quicken ID & Cloud accounts >Sign in as a different user. On the pop-up window type in yes and click Sign Out.

Once that is done close Quicken and restart your computer. After your computer has restarted, open Quicken and sign back in with your Quicken ID/password. 

When you have a moment please attempt the steps above and let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma

Answers

• Quicken Paloma
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello @Stuart Boyle, 

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. We apologize you are having this issue. For this particular instance, I would recommend signing out completely from Quicken. 

This can be done by selecting Edit >Preferences >Quicken ID & Cloud accounts >Sign in as a different user. On the pop-up window type in yes and click Sign Out.

Once that is done close Quicken and restart your computer. After your computer has restarted, open Quicken and sign back in with your Quicken ID/password. 

When you have a moment please attempt the steps above and let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Paloma
  • Stuart Boyle
    Stuart Boyle Member ✭✭✭
    First time I tried it it didn't work ostensibly because I only signed-out of one of the files. Once I signed-out of both files, rebooted, then signed-in back into both files, that seemed to fix the issue. Thanks!
  • Quicken Paloma
    Hello @Stuart Boyle

Thank you for your response. We are glad that your issue is now resolved. If you run into any other issues or have questions please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First time I tried it it didn't work ostensibly because I only signed-out of one of the files. Once I signed-out of both files, rebooted, then signed-in back into both files, that seemed to fix the issue. Thanks!
    Is one of your files made from a copy of the other file?  Or was each file created as a new file.
    The reason why I am asking is that if one is a copy of the other they then share the same Cloud Account and that means they are not truly fully unique and they share some things in common.  This will cause some some undesired cross talk issues which can be problematic for both or one of the files.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Stuart Boyle
    Stuart Boyle Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    There are 2 completely separate files. I track someone else's finances in the 2nd file.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 completely separate files. I track someone else's finances in the 2nd file.
    OK.  It seemed odd to me that you would need to sign out of both files and then sign in again to both in order to resolve the issue your were seeing.  That made me think that perhaps they were both sharing the same Cloud Account which would mean that one data file was created as a copy of the other.  That would not be good for data integrity because there would be some cross-talk between the two files.  The key to making sure this does not happen is to make sure that every primary data file being managed is created as a new file and is not created as a copy of another.  Then each data file has its own Cloud Account and there is no cross talk between them that occurs.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Stuart Boyle
    Stuart Boyle Member ✭✭✭
    I don't much about cloud accounts. I'm not using Quicken Mobile or We on either file.
This discussion has been closed.