Portfolio Value Report available (like in QM2007)?

Options
sierra_hiker
sierra_hiker Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Reports (Mac)
Can I make a Portfolio Value Report grouped by account, showing selected accounts and all the securities in each account? For each security, show security name, number of shares, price per share on selected date for the report and balance (# of shares x price per share).

Also, can I memorize reports as I could do in QM2007? For example, Portfolio Value: Taxable Accounts and Portfolio Value: Retirement Accounts.
Thanks!

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Installing Catalina will not "trash" your old Quicken 2007 application, but it will render it unable to run. Modern Quicken Mac should be able to import your data file, but the application is dead unless you move it back to a Mac running an older operating system. Installing modern Quicken does not affect your Quicken 2007 data file or application; in fact, they can both run simultaneously on operating systems prior to Catalina. 

So that leads to a possible suggestion for a two-step upgrade. First, upgrade to an intermediate operating system like Mojave. This will allow you to install the modern Quicken but still run the old Quicken 2007. This can be useful while you check account balances, recreate reports or budgets, and do any back-and-forth comparisons between old and new Quicken. Or if there is any problem with the import and you want to go back into Quicken 2007 to re-save the data file to try again. Then you can do the second operating system upgrade to Catalina (or Big Sur or Monterey, if you have a Mac capable of supporting a later operating system) in order to install and run Turbotax. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • sierra_hiker
    sierra_hiker Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Jacobs, Thanks so much for your response. It's good to know that Quicken 2007 won't get overwritten when installing modern Quicken. Upgrading to Mojave and running both Quicken 2007 and modern Quicken on Mojave as an intermediate step sounds like a good way to get the data transferred to modern Quicken.

Answers

• jacobs
    Options
    Some yes, some no… ;)

To create a Portfolio Value Report, first click on Investing in the left sidebar (if you want all accounts), or perhaps just the Brokerage heading or just the Investment heading, or just a single account. Click on the Portfolio tab. Set the filters under the graph to Portfolio Value and Group by Account. (The third filter lets you further refine which accounts to include or exclude, if you want.) For each account, click the little triangle to the left of the account name, to have it show the securities in that account. (There is no"expand all" option here that I'm aware of; you have to expand each account.) Now click on the Columns icon on the right side of the toolbar above the column headings, and add or remove the columns you want in your report; for what you mentioned, you'd want Share, Price and Market Value.

That should be the data you said you wanted. You can now print this (and/or export it).

If you want taxable accounts, just set the third filter to All Brokerage Accounts; if you want retirement accounts, se the third filter to All Retirement Accounts. 

Now for the bad news… while you can configure and save all the reports in the Report section of Quicken, these reports you define in the investment Portfolio window cannot (yet) be saved like other reports. So unfortunately, you have to re-configure the portfolio settings each time you want the report. It's definitely annoying, and I hope saved investment reports are coming in the not-too-distant future, but that said, once you've done this a number of times, you'll find you get pretty quick atconfiguring the Portfolio view to show what you want. 
  • sierra_hiker
    sierra_hiker Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your quick reply, jacobs. I haven't installed Mac Quicken yet but will use your instructions if I do so.
    Another question: I'm another QM2007 refugee who needs to update my Mac OS Sierra to at least Catalina to be able to use TurboTax 2021. Somewhere I read that when you install a new version of Quicken, your old version gets discarded. If I installed Mac Quicken 2019, for example, would my old QM2007 be trashed? (If so, I could copy it to another place before installing the new Quicken?)
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Installing Catalina will not "trash" your old Quicken 2007 application, but it will render it unable to run. Modern Quicken Mac should be able to import your data file, but the application is dead unless you move it back to a Mac running an older operating system. Installing modern Quicken does not affect your Quicken 2007 data file or application; in fact, they can both run simultaneously on operating systems prior to Catalina. 

So that leads to a possible suggestion for a two-step upgrade. First, upgrade to an intermediate operating system like Mojave. This will allow you to install the modern Quicken but still run the old Quicken 2007. This can be useful while you check account balances, recreate reports or budgets, and do any back-and-forth comparisons between old and new Quicken. Or if there is any problem with the import and you want to go back into Quicken 2007 to re-save the data file to try again. Then you can do the second operating system upgrade to Catalina (or Big Sur or Monterey, if you have a Mac capable of supporting a later operating system) in order to install and run Turbotax. 
  • sierra_hiker
    sierra_hiker Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Jacobs, Thanks so much for your response. It's good to know that Quicken 2007 won't get overwritten when installing modern Quicken. Upgrading to Mojave and running both Quicken 2007 and modern Quicken on Mojave as an intermediate step sounds like a good way to get the data transferred to modern Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.