Using a TXF report

Options
d.gerety.
d.gerety. Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I just discovered the Export Tax Report option, and find I can open it with Excel 2011 and with LibreOffice 2020. I haven't used Excel in at least 20 years and have never used Libre. Is there a simple formula, or another application that will trim the report into something lean and easily deciphered?
I'm using Quicken 6.5.3 and OS 10.14.6 on a late 2012 Mac and have no plan to upgrade.
Thank you,
DG

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have no idea what you want it to look like, or what you would consider "lean and easily deciphered." You can manipulate the data anyway you want in a spreadsheet program. Are you asking for a tutorial on how to use Excel or LibreOffice? I'm sure there are hundreds of Youtub videos and help sites to learn how to use either of these spreadsheet programs. (You can also use Apple's Numbers, which is likely on your Mac, or Google Sheets, as other free spreadsheet alternatives.) 

That said, you mention exporting a TXF report. That's intended specifically for importing into tax software programs like TurboTax. For manipulation in a spreadsheet, you should instead be exporting the Tax Schedule report as a CSV file. Any spreadsheet program can open a CSV file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • d.gerety.
    d.gerety. Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you, Jacobs. That's all I need to know. Case closed.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have no idea what you want it to look like, or what you would consider "lean and easily deciphered." You can manipulate the data anyway you want in a spreadsheet program. Are you asking for a tutorial on how to use Excel or LibreOffice? I'm sure there are hundreds of Youtub videos and help sites to learn how to use either of these spreadsheet programs. (You can also use Apple's Numbers, which is likely on your Mac, or Google Sheets, as other free spreadsheet alternatives.) 

That said, you mention exporting a TXF report. That's intended specifically for importing into tax software programs like TurboTax. For manipulation in a spreadsheet, you should instead be exporting the Tax Schedule report as a CSV file. Any spreadsheet program can open a CSV file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • d.gerety.
    d.gerety. Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you, Jacobs. That's all I need to know. Case closed.
This discussion has been closed.