Quicken crashes on open

iare
iare Member ✭✭
Quicken continues to crash each time I open. I can open with the ctrl button held down, but it will crash even if I try to view the version. Unable to open file, backup file, or create a new one. Each time it goes to the no information Crash report screen. Spent an hour with support yesterday, went through the uninstall, clean out all versions, new install - no change. Today went through uninstall steps again rebooting after uninstall and before install. Updated Windows and ensured all updates have been successfully installed. System worked fine on Monday of last week, on Thursday of last week, but on Friday it goes to crash report. Support says it is my Internet's issue or firewall. Microsoft defender ran through AVG, with AVG turned off and firewall turned off, Quicken still crashes. AT&T says it is Quicken's issue. Have rebooted entire network - modem and system. WIFI works fine, able to access internet no issues. I am on windows subscription service with Quicken, and went through an update on Monday of last week, expires in November, so I am up to date. Out of ideas and researched the community to work through most of above. Looked at the files included in the crash report, not much help although this issue keeps appearing in the QCS.log corresponding to each time I try to open

################### Saturday, February 19, 2022, 16:59:57 #####################
INFO:Exception while getting client config: System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.
File name: 'System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at Quicken.Interface.QuickenConfig.ConfigInfo.GetQAMBaseURL()
at Quicken.Services.Authentication.OAuth2Service..ctor()
at Quicken.Services.Authentication.AuthenticationServices.set_OAuthVersion(OAuthAPIVersion value)
at Quicken.Features.ClientConfig.RestClient.ClientConfigRestClient.GetClientConfigInternal(String clientType, Boolean userSpecific)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

---------------------------------------------------------------

################### Saturday, February 19, 2022, 16:59:57 #####################
ERROR:The type initializer for 'Quicken.Services.Mixpanel.MixpanelHelper' threw an exception.

Can anyone help?
Tagged:

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To revert to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo Patch, and restoring a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken. To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo Patch: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows, https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has, or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).
  • iare
    iare Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the input, tried all suggested - still will not open up. Continues to crash with same errors in the log. Any other possible suggestions?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    iare said:
    Thanks for the input, tried all suggested - still will not open up. Continues to crash with same errors in the log. Any other possible suggestions?
    Did you perform the install and the test (Ctrl + open Quicken and select File > About Quicken) with your anti virus and anti malware programs disabled?
  • iare
    iare Member ✭✭
    Yes I did. I have done another complete uninstall and rebooted my system. Going to uninstall AVG tomorrow and turn off Defender firewall, then install again while not connected to internet, update with patch and see if I can open or start a brand file, not using my backups or current file. Have renamed my Quicken files folder and made sure all other folders are gone. Maybe that give me some clues.
    Is any of the text from the log pointing to the app not being able to access the internet or quicken on the internet that you can see?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    iare said:
    Yes I did. I have done another complete uninstall and rebooted my system. Going to uninstall AVG tomorrow and turn off Defender firewall, then install again while not connected to internet, update with patch and see if I can open or start a brand file, not using my backups or current file. Have renamed my Quicken files folder and made sure all other folders are gone. Maybe that give me some clues.
    Is any of the text from the log pointing to the app not being able to access the internet or quicken on the internet that you can see?

The BadImageFormatException message points at a bad DLL or EXE.  Some anti virus and anti malware programs will intentionally break programs they think are suspect.
  • iare
    iare Member ✭✭
    Well - nadda....I uninstalled AVG completely, turned off Windows Defender even though Quicken folder and app is allowed. Ran malwarebytes to ensure computer had nothing lurking. Defragged after all. Today I installed Quicken without internet on, then applied patch - It would not even open with the ctrl key activated. It went to the crash report. I cleared all off again. Installed AVG back (Folder and App are allowed), I uninstalled the Windows patch which was applied on Thursday(Update Health Tools), and then ran the subscription install. It opened under the ctrl key activated, but crashed opening About.
    I am out of tries
    Thank you for your help
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    iare said:
    Well - nadda....I uninstalled AVG completely, turned off Windows Defender even though Quicken folder and app is allowed. Ran malwarebytes to ensure computer had nothing lurking. Defragged after all. Today I installed Quicken without internet on, then applied patch - It would not even open with the ctrl key activated. It went to the crash report. I cleared all off again. Installed AVG back (Folder and App are allowed), I uninstalled the Windows patch which was applied on Thursday(Update Health Tools), and then ran the subscription install. It opened under the ctrl key activated, but crashed opening About.
    I am out of tries
    Thank you for your help
    Just to confirm, prior to installing Quicken, you are performing the manual steps clean uninstall instructions in  https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken 

I suggest determining if you are able to press Ctrl + open Quicken and select File > About Quicken, after the install with Windows booted in safe mode.  By the way, which version of Windows are you running?
  • iare
    iare Member ✭✭
    Yes step by step including looking for the folder and file names to rename, even though not there. Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1526 since 9/18/2020
    Will try in safe mode
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    iare said:
    Yes step by step including looking for the folder and file names to rename, even though not there. Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 OS Build 19043.1526 since 9/18/2020
    Will try in safe mode
    For what it may be worth, we use Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 OS Build 19044.1526 and Quicken R36.38 without any issues.  
  • iare
    iare Member ✭✭
    Thanks - I am already updating to that version, been putting it off, but figured try it also...LOL. Uninstalled the app again and cleaned, now running windows update to install it "fingers crossed" the 20th time is the charm
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    iare said:
    Thanks - I am already updating to that version, been putting it off, but figured try it also...LOL. Uninstalled the app again and cleaned, now running windows update to install it "fingers crossed" the 20th time is the charm
    We have been informed this backend change should only impact accounts using the Express Web Connect connection method and a Quicken version prior to R36.48.  In my opinion, it is bad policy for Quicken to be coercing their users on to the staged  R38.30 release when they say themselves say it is not required.

Note: We don't use the Express Web Connect connection method so we should be fine at R36.38.
  • iare
    iare Member ✭✭
    Well the 20th time installing was the charm after re-installing Windows 10 Version 21H1, uninstalling a few Dell monitoring applications, reinstalling AVG and re-activating Windows Defender it finally worked. Did notice that Version 38.30 Build 27.1.38.30 was installed and noticed a few differences from previous install but not sure if was due to new install and reverting back to standard displays....Not sure what actually fixed the issue, at this point just happy to move on. Thank you for all your help!
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @iare

Thank you for your response. Pardon the persisting issue and frustration caused. However, we are glad that your issue is now resolved. If you have any questions or concerns please let us know. 

Thank you!

-Quicken Paloma
This discussion has been closed.