Why does Quicken Scheduled Updates not update my investment Market Value totals.

Options
I have been using Scheduled Updates for years to update Quicken. Until recently it worked without a problem. For the past few weeks it runs normally and reports that it updated all my accounts, but the investment total is not updated. If I run One Step Update it works as expected and updates the investment totals. I have checked the set up for Scheduled Updates and see no issues. All accounts are checked to be updated. The report on the update shows all accounts were updated successfully.

What happened few weeks ago that has broken Scheduled Updates?

I am running the latest version of Quicken for Windows, release 38.30. I am also running the latest version of Windows 10 64bit.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have been using Scheduled Updates for years to update Quicken. Until recently it worked without a problem. For the past few weeks it runs normally and reports that it updated all my accounts, but the investment total is not updated. If I run One Step Update it works as expected and updates the investment totals. I have checked the set up for Scheduled Updates and see no issues. All accounts are checked to be updated. The report on the update shows all accounts were updated successfully.

What happened few weeks ago that has broken Scheduled Updates?

I am running the latest version of Quicken for Windows, release 38.30. I am also running the latest version of Windows 10 64bit.
    Hello @David Clark,           

I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue with Scheduled Updates. Thank you for bringing this matter before the attention of the Quicken Community.

Just to clarify, are the investment totals the only item that is currently missing after a Scheduled Update? I was a little unclear about whether this issue was continuing and when it might have begun, as well.

Be sure to save backups frequently whenever using Quicken by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. This is vital to preserving your data and can even help resolve a number of issues. If possible, try to restore a backup from just prior to when you first noticed this problem occurring by navigating to the same menu and selecting File > Restore a Backup File. Finally, attempt to schedule an update once again as you normally would after you have restored from a backup.

I look forward to hearing back from you about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• David Clark
    David Clark Member ✭✭
    Options
    The investment account totals are not missing, they are not updated. Other accounts are updated.
    There are several investment accounts, none of them are updated.
    Consequently the total is also not updated. This persists through multiple Scheduled Updates.
    As I stated above, if after the Scheduled Update has completed, I manually run the One Step Update, all the accounts are properly updated.
    Again, as stated above, I checked the setup for Scheduled Updates and all accounts have checks so they should be updated.
    As stated above, this defect started several weeks ago, presumably when one of the Quicken updates installed. I don't know the exact date or which update may have caused the problem.
    I backup frequently but that does not nothing to help with this issue.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @David Clark

In the recent past, other users have reported that certain Quicken application updates have affected their previously Scheduled Updates (effectively disabling them even though they still appear to be scheduled).  And I have recently seen a few posts reporting what you are seeing. 

To fix this, I suggest that you reset (reestablish actually) all of your scheduled updates now (and in the future whenever a new release is pushed out & installed).

Please try that and get back to me on your results.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• David Clark
    David Clark Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Frankx
    Scheduled updates are not disabled. The updates occur as scheduled. I get a One Step Update Summary that shows all of my accounts have been updated. New transactions show up in various accounts. But the investment accounts have not had the market value of shares updated.

I used the tools menu to check the Scheduled Update setup. All accounts are checked, update quotes is checked. The updates occur on the setup schedule. I don't see what else there may be to check or setup.

What does "reestablish actually" mean?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Options
    David Clark said: ... But the investment accounts have not had the market value of shares updated.
    So - you really mean that the Market Value is not being updated ?
    After the Schedule Update - before you do the OSU -
    Have you looked at any of the Securities involved,
    and their Quicken Price History to see if the Quote/Price is being updated ?
    [EDIT] - also updated topic title to better reflect the actual Q&A

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @""David Clark"

You initially stated "Until recently it worked without a problem. For the past few weeks it runs normally and reports that it updated all my accounts, but the investment total is not updated. If I run One Step Update it works as expected and updates the investment totals."  I did not indicate that I thought your "Scheduled updated are not disabled" to the contrary - I said I thought that those scheduled update were - in fact - not functioning.  I still believe that is the case, as this exact behavior has been reported by a number of other users.  And the problem is simple - users have scheduled updates that have been in place for some time, and the expect that they are still automatically updating their accounts, but in actuality, they have stopped working.  And "checking the settings" of a function that has stopped working does not mean that it is still working - it simply means that the settings haven't changed.

Above, you asked "
    What does "reestablish actually" mean?".  This is my suggested remedy to your problem.  It means that you should go into "One Step Update Settings" and click on the "Scheduled Updates" button at the bottom of the window. Next you deselect all of your settings on this pop-up )which will disable your One Step Update Process) and then close the window.  Next, shut down the Quicken application and reopen it.  Then you will need to go back into the same "One Step Update Settings" and setup your settings again.

As I noted above, other users have been seeing just want you reported and they have been successful in fixing their issues by taking these steps.  You can accept my suggestion, or reject it - that is clearly your choice.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.