How do I clear syncing error

When trying to sync to cloud I am getting the following error, this is from data log.

Sync errors found:
[1] (severity: 3)
User message:
The category <b>"Ret."</b> was not synced.
Illegal Operation: {0}
System message:
Export category error. Name = "Ret.", Id = 4110; Parent category Id = 314373588772051457
exception:
err code: QCS-0403-2

[2] (severity: 3)
User message:
The category <b>"Ret."</b> was not synced.
Illegal Operation: {0}
System message:
Export category error. Name = "Ret.", Id = 4110; Parent category Id = 314373588772051457
exception:

Any suggestions on how to clear this syncing error? Thanks

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @elpasokid,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest resetting your cloud data and see if that may make a difference. However, before doing so, first, verify that the Dataset name and the File name match each other identically by navigating to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts (see below). 

If they do not match, please click Edit dataset name and change the Dataset name to match the File name exactly the same (do not copy the file extension: ".QDF"). 

Then, click OK in the preferences window and proceed to save a backup (just in case). From there, please follow the steps below to reset your cloud data.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Mobile & Web
    4. Make sure sync shows it's ON and click on Reset your cloud data 
    5. On the following screen you can leave the preselected option for "No, just reset my Cloud data", type Yes in the entry field to confirm, and click Reset
    6. Wait for the sync reset to finish
    7. Navigate to the Mobile & Web dropdown menu 
    8. Select Cloud Sync to resync your data and to make sure no errors occur
    Once that is done, see if the issue still persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• After following the steps, I am still getting message: The category "Ret." was not synced. Illegal Operation: {0} when Cloud Sync in step 8

Dataset name and file name were the same with the exception of .QDF
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @elpasokid

Thank you for your response. Could you please validate you file?

To do this select File >Validate and Repair File. On the pop up menu check the first box “validate” then click OK. Once the validation is complete please attempt to sync your file again. 

When you have a moment attempt the steps above and let us know how it goes. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens when you rename the Category to something else?
    Or when you add a new category with a different (longer) name, recategorize all transactions from "Ret." to the new category?
  • No luck after validating file. Still getting error message when syncing. The only way I'm able to reconcile account is to reset account on online services tab in account details. When I do this account will reconcile. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    elpasokid said:
    No luck after validating file. Still getting error message when syncing. The only way I'm able to reconcile account is to reset account on online services tab in account details. When I do this account will reconcile. Thanks in advance for any help.
    @elpasokid

Thanks for keeping in contact with us about this problem and providing updates. I am sorry for any difficulties caused by this issue.

I want to be sure: is this trouble with reconciliation continuing?

Another step towards resolution involves what is called Super Validation. First, save a backup, then move through the following instructions:

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to hearing your response regarding any future developments.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • I'm still having same error message after super validating file. Super frustrating. I have to reset the account to get it to reconcile, but continually get error message when syncing. Thanks for your suggestion.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    elpasokid said:
    I'm still having same error message after super validating file. Super frustrating. I have to reset the account to get it to reconcile, but continually get error message when syncing. Thanks for your suggestion.
    @elpasokid

I am sorry that this error message is still appearing and causing you these difficulties. Thanks for your perseverance in working with me on this problem. 

Have you tried signing out of Quicken and then signing back in? In order to do this, please follow the instructions below:

1. Go to the Edit menu > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts 
    2. Click the Sign in as a different user link on the right side of the window.  
    3. In the dialogue window that opens, type Yes in the box to confirm you want to sign out.
    I look forward to any follow-up you may be able to provide, if you have the time.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared
  • Thanks for your feedback. I tried to sign out and back on to quicken with the same results, error message: The category "Ret." was not synced. Illegal Operation: {0}
  • Quicken Paloma
    Hello @elpasokid

Thank you for your response, although we apologize that your issue is still persisting. To obtain a better understanding of the issue could you please let us know where your file is located? 

If you are unsure, this may be checked by selecting File >Show this file on my computer. 

Thank you!

-Quicken Paloma
  • This PC> (C:) >Users>elpasokid>Documents>Quicken
  • Quicken Paloma
    Hello @elpasokid

Thank you for the additional information. Could you please let us know if this is occurring only when syncing your file, when exiting Quicken, and/or performing a backup? Also, it would be most helpful if you could provide a screenshot of the error message. 

For instructions on attaching a screenshot click here. Please note that you may need to drag the image file into the response box. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • elpasokid
    elpasokid Member
    The error message shows up anytime I try syncing an account. I have to reset accounts in the account list each time I download new transactions in order to have the account reconcile.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited March 2023

@elpasokid Thank you for following up and providing the screenshot, though I apologize for the delay in our response.

Since, unfortunately, the previous steps have failed so far, next, I suggest you try manually resetting your cloud data by creating a test file and deleting your cloud account from that test file. After that, you would attempt to resync your main data file which should then create a new cloud account (this does not affect your data saved within that data file).

First, please proceed to save a backup (just in case). From there, create a new data file (click here to view instructions, and review the section titled: "Creating a new file"). Once the new file opens, follow the steps below to remove your main data file's cloud account.

1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    4. Click Cloud accounts associated with this Quicken ID (#) (this is not a button, it is written in blue underneath the "Edit dataset name" button)
    5. Select the Cloud Account Name used for your main data file and click Delete
    6. Type Yes and click Delete

After that, switch back to your main data file (click here to view instructions, scroll down and review the section titled: "How to alternate between multiple files"). 

Once your main file opens, resync your data by navigating to the Mobile & Web tab and clicking on the blue Get Started button, and then the blue Sync Now button and see whether or not the errors you were receiving persist. You can then also delete the new file you previously created as well as its cloud account.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• elpasokid
    elpasokid Member
    I tried manual reset with no success. After spending close to an hour with Quicken support, they were able to reset something on their end and now quicken seems to be working correctly. Thanks for your help :)
  • Quicken Anja
    edited March 2022
    You're welcome and thanks for the update!

Glad to hear support was able to aid in resolving the problem for you. :)

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.