This file does not have an app associated with it

The Keeper
The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
When I back up a Quicken file to an external storage USB device, I plug in the device to the USB Port and receive the following pop-up window;

"This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app, or if one is already installed, create an association in the default app setting page.

I can save the Quicken file to the external drive but keep getting this pop up each time I insert a device into the USB port. CTRL B will open Quicken dropbox but not display the USB drive. I have to use the file, backup command in Quicken to find the external drive.

Quicken Version R38.30
Build: 27.1.38.30
Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1526)

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a Windows 10 message with nothing to do with Quicken. Maybe you have a Windows setting for AutoPlay which is causing Windows to try to run an app when you insert the USB drive.
    Look at both AutoPlay and USB settings and you can probably find what is causing this.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suspect you're experiencing a Windows autorun or autoplay issue if the window opens when you plug in the USB device.  I suggest disabling autorun or reviewing the autorun.inf on the device.

I'm not sure what you mean by CTRL B will open Quicken dropbox.  Perhaps a providing a screen capture will help.

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is a Windows autorun issue and appreciate your solution. As for the CTRL B I should have explained what I was doing. As you know CTRL B opens a backup window in Quicken and depending on the last backup, it will default to the backup. In this case, I backed up to a flash drive in the "D" drive and then backed up again to Quicken Dropbox which showed as the default.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe it is a Windows autorun issue and appreciate your solution. As for the CTRL B I should have explained what I was doing. As you know CTRL B opens a backup window in Quicken and depending on the last backup, it will default to the backup. In this case, I backed up to a flash drive in the "D" drive and then backed up again to Quicken Dropbox which showed as the default.

Quicken should be maintaining its list of recent manual backup paths in the QUSER.INI file in the users hidden AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config folder.  The recent paths should appear in the pull-down menu.  Selecting Change should allow you the reset the current path. 
This discussion has been closed.