How Do I Add a New Security to an Existing Broker that Doesn't Support Third-Party Access?

TombRaider55
TombRaider55 Member ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I am using the latest subscription version of Quicken for Windows.

I recently began buying securities from Robinhood who does not support third-party access. I simply want to add a new security to that brokerage account. When I right-click on the brokerage account and select "Add Security" and click through the resulting windows, nothing appears.

How do I add a new stock holding and share balance?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    The stock should have appeared in your Security List. It will not appear in your investment register until you enter a transaction actually acquiring some shares.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• TombRaider55
    TombRaider55 Member ✭✭
    Rocket, thanks for the prompt reply; but, that is the problem. It doesn't show in my Security List, so I cannot enter a transaction. I can get it the security to show in the Watch List which isn't helpful.

I have several brokerage accounts, but this is the first that doesn't support third-party access. So, I haven't run into this before. When I set up Robinhood, I was able to add the securities that I bought initially. And I can update my holdings. However, there doesn't appear to be a working method of adding a new security to that account.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Go straight to the Security List by pressing Ctrl-Y. Check "Show hidden securities" just in case. If the security is in the list but "Watch List" is checked, remove that check. If the security is not in the list at all, add it there.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• TombRaider55
    TombRaider55 Member ✭✭
    Thanks again, I was able to add it to the Security List in that method. How do I get it to show up under Robinhood and how do I get it to allow me to enter a transaction. Thanks for you help!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Open the Robinhood investment register and click the big "Enter Transactions" button at the top left.
    Enter a Buy transaction for that security. Type in the number of shares and total cost. Allow Quicken to calculate the price per share.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you created an Offline Robinhood account? If not, you need to do that first.
    Then in the Robinhood account, click on Enter Transactions
    Select Buy and enter the info. The security you added should be on the Security dropdown list.

QWin Premier subscription
  • TombRaider55
    TombRaider55 Member ✭✭
    Yay! I figured it out!
This discussion has been closed.