How do I down grade from Premier to Deluxe?

gwpotter
gwpotter Member ✭✭
I am a Deluxe user (Mac version) and interested in trying some of the Premier features. If I decide these are not worth the added cost, how do I downgrade back to Deluxe?

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    I don't know if it's possible to get a refund on a portion of a Premier subscription. A few years ago when I tried out Premier I just waited until the year was almost up & then bought another year of Deluxe & that did the trick. A couple things to note (at least , this is how it worked 3 or 4 years ago for me):

If you have any time left on a Premiere subscription and you add a year of Deluxe, you immediately get downgraded to Deluxe - you don't lose any time on your subscription but the remaining Premiere time you had is converted to Deluxe. 

Downgrading to Deluxe does not unsubscribe you from the Bill Pay service; you'll need to call in & cancel that separately, otherwise you'll start getting billed for it.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022 Answer ✓
    I don't know if it's possible to get a refund on a portion of a Premier subscription. A few years ago when I tried out Premier I just waited until the year was almost up & then bought another year of Deluxe & that did the trick. A couple things to note (at least , this is how it worked 3 or 4 years ago for me):

If you have any time left on a Premiere subscription and you add a year of Deluxe, you immediately get downgraded to Deluxe - you don't lose any time on your subscription but the remaining Premiere time you had is converted to Deluxe. 

Downgrading to Deluxe does not unsubscribe you from the Bill Pay service; you'll need to call in & cancel that separately, otherwise you'll start getting billed for it.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• gwpotter
    gwpotter Member ✭✭
    jon thanks a lot -- it actually is the Bill Payment feature that is driving me to consider Premium. Right now it would be break even to use Bill Payment instead of writing checks and buying stamps. Since my rate of check writing has decreased pretty continuously over the last 20 years, probably not with messing with.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest checking to see if your bank supports Bill Pay.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2022
    Bill Pay is two different things: Direct Connect Bill Pay (Bank Bill Pay) or Quicken Bill Pay (QuickPay and CheckPay).

Direct Connect (Bank) Bill Pay is free (on Quicken's end) if your bank supports it. The bank may or may not charge extra on their end for using Direct Connect. My former bank (Citizens Bank) did; my current bank (Salem Five) does not.

To use this, your bank must support both Direct Connect and Bank Bill Pay. To check if your bank supports Direct Connect, open the account Settings > Downloads and see if the Connection Type is already Direct Connect. If not, click the Change Connection Type button (accept the warning message if it appears), then with your bank selected in the bank list, click the OPTIONS button in the next window. If Direct Connect is NOT grayed out, then the bank supports Direct Connect.

You may try to connect Direct Connect. It may or may not work depending if your bank requires you to authorize (pay) on their end. You would have to check with the bank on that. 

If you already have or switch connect to Direct Connect, then you need to see if the bank supports Bank Bill Pay. To check this, open account Settings > Bill Pay. If it's available, it will say "Enabled". Here's more info on Bank Bill Pay: https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=8421735

If D/C Bill Pay is not available for your bank, or the bank charges too much, then...

Quicken Bill Pay (Quick Pay and Check Pay) is a service provided by Quicken that does not depend on Direct Connect and works with almost all banks. You can subscribe to it (for a monthly fee) while using Quicken Deluxe or you can get a limited number of QBP transactions included with Quicken Premier. 

Aside: QBP and Premium Support are the only features that Quicken Premier adds to Quicken Deluxe for Mac. The comparison chart on Quicken's website has some errors, so don't depend on that.

One option for you is to subscribe to QBP from your Quicken Deluxe and try it out. Then if you like it, and if it's cheaper for the number of transactions you'll be doing, then you can consider upgrading to Premier and cancel the monthly subscription. Here are the transaction limits and associated costs: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-many-payments-can-i-make-each-month

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • gwpotter
    gwpotter Member ✭✭
    Rick you are amazing. You have solved multiple problems and answered dozens of questions over the years. Thank you very much! :)
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @gwpotter You are quite welcome, and thanks for the shout out.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.