Why does budget line items show red when budget and rollover cover it?

NLT
NLT Member ✭✭
Even though my budgeted amount plus the rollover amount covers that month's expenses, it still shows red in the budget. Is this because I exceeded the month's budget even though the rollover amount still covered it?

Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Are you in the Graph view or the Annual view?

I just did a test in the Graph View with the bar for the given category, and it does take the rollover into account and will be green as long as the rollover and the budget are equal or greater than the actual amount.

And confirm you are talking about the bar for the individual category, right?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    NLT said:
    Even though my budgeted amount plus the rollover amount covers that month's expenses, it still shows red in the budget. Is this because I exceeded the month's budget even though the rollover amount still covered it?

Thanks.
    Hello @NLT,    

Thank you for taking the opportunity to speak with us here on the Quicken Community in regards to the budgeting features of Quicken.

To answer your question: yes, the month's budget figures will be color-coded with red to a deficit between that month's budgeted amount and the associated expenditures. Quicken automatically colors the entries for each time period based on the relationship between the given budget data and the known spending amounts.

I hope this is helpful, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• NLT
    NLT Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your answer but I am still a little confused.

So, if I budget $500 in January, February, and March with rollover, at the beginning of April where I budget another $500, with the rollover I should be able to spend $2,000 in that line item. If I spend $2,000 in April, the line item has $0 remaining. But the line items shows red indicating I over spent but I really did not. Shouldn't it be green?

Thanks.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Are you in the Graph view or the Annual view?

I just did a test in the Graph View with the bar for the given category, and it does take the rollover into account and will be green as long as the rollover and the budget are equal or greater than the actual amount.

And confirm you are talking about the bar for the individual category, right?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    NLT said:
    Thanks for your answer but I am still a little confused.

So, if I budget $500 in January, February, and March with rollover, at the beginning of April where I budget another $500, with the rollover I should be able to spend $2,000 in that line item. If I spend $2,000 in April, the line item has $0 remaining. But the line items shows red indicating I over spent but I really did not. Shouldn't it be green?

Thanks.

If I understand what you're saying, yes I think it should be green.  Here in the first month I've budgeted

$100 but only spent $17.  The leaves me with a balance of $83 that rolls over to the second month.  For the second month I have zero budgeted but spent $32.  The balance shows $51 and it is not red.  Be sure you have that green arrow thing turned on.

You don't have "view reminders" checked?  Sometimes I think that can make Quicken assume you will spend a certain amount and deduct it from your budget even though you haven't actually spent that amount yet.
  • NLT
    NLT Member ✭✭
    :) Thank you. Understand it now. Took a while but I got it.
This discussion has been closed.