Stock sale Sell All share amount disputed by Quicken

Bill Sauter
Bill Sauter Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I attempted to "Sell All" shares of a stock. Quicken automatically filled in the correct number of shares I hold (35). After filling in price and selecting Enter/Done Quicken says "Number of shares selected is more than the available. Maximum number of shares on this security is 34." This in spite of the fact that Quicken knew the correct mount when I told it to "Sell all shares in this account". How can this be???? I even tried to Specify Lots and that resulted in the same error message. I've never had this occur with other stock sales.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @Bill Sauter,

Do you have any placeholders in this account?  If so (or if you don't know), go to: :Edit" > "Preferences" > "Downloaded transactions" > then click the "Settings..." button that is next to "Compare account portfolio after download". In the pop-up select "Clear All" button > then "OK" > and "OK".

Then go back and enter the "Sell All" transaction in the account register.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To make any Placeholders visible, to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is selected.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Bill Sauter
    Bill Sauter Member ✭✭
    Thank you both for responding. I tried both things with no success. Quicken will still only let me sell 34 shares even though it tells me I have 35. It shows 35 shares in the Investing Portfolio and when I select Sell All shares.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I think the problem you are seeing can sometimes occur if you had a previous sale that left you with a negative share balance
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    What else might have occurred during your ownership affecting shares?  Stock splits? Mergers? Conversions?  Some of those types of events could have led to a mathematical precision issue. Sometimes redoing those events is required to fix them. 
  • Bill Sauter
    Bill Sauter Member ✭✭
    Today I download my transactions from Fidelity which included the sale of the 35 shares. When i accepted the transaction Quicken took it without complaining. I no longer show any of the shares. So, I don't know what was causing Quicken to think I only had 24 shares, but the issue is now moot and my Quicken account is correct.
    Thank you all for your help.
This discussion has been closed.