After update, I get message "unable to update bills. Go to "Bills" to see more.

I've used Quicken for many years. I currently pay bills through Quicken using my bank's website. I don't use the "Bills & Income" section in Quicken to keep track of my bills. After I update, I get a message "unable to update bills. Go to Bills & Income and click on 'Bills' to see more". When I do this I see many bills listed, some of which I don't receive or pay anymore. I'd like to get rid of this error message. I don't need or use the information in the Bills & Income section. Tell me how too deal with this, please.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I've used Quicken for many years. I currently pay bills through Quicken using my bank's website. I don't use the "Bills & Income" section in Quicken to keep track of my bills. After I update, I get a message "unable to update bills. Go to Bills & Income and click on 'Bills' to see more". When I do this I see many bills listed, some of which I don't receive or pay anymore. I'd like to get rid of this error message. I don't need or use the information in the Bills & Income section. Tell me how too deal with this, please.
    Hello @tjones2033

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this error message, and thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community to discuss this problem.

First, save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Doing this often is important, as it is vital to preserving your data, and can be helpful in a number of other ways, as well. 

Have you tried deleting the instances in the Bills, Income & Transfers subtab under Bills & Income? Be sure to select Biller Name in the View By filter. Next, go to the column that says Action at the top and for each Biller or 'instance' listed, click on the Edit button and select Delete this instance and all future instances.

I look forward to your response, should you have the opportunity to drop in and follow up with us on the Quicken Community again.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • tjones2033
    tjones2033 Member ✭✭
    I have ried to dp what you suggested in your reply, but when I look at the entries in the "Action" column for the transactions I'd like to delete, the "delete all . . ." option is not there. There's no delete option.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tjones2033

Thank you for your response, although we apologize you are still having this issue. To provide adequate guidance could you please post a screenshot of your current view/issue.

For instructions on attaching a screenshot click here. Please note that you may need to drag the image file into the response box. 

When you have a moment please attach a screenshot so that we may move forward with troubleshooting. Thank you!

-Quicken Paloma

• tjones2033
    tjones2033 Member ✭✭
    Here is the screenshot
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @tjones2033

Thank you for your response and the screenshot. To clarify, if you are wanting to delete a manual biller you would need to select the drop-down arrow (right side of biller) in the actions column then click Delete this instance and all other instances. See visual example below. 

If you are wanting to delete an online linked biller you would need to select Settings (gear icon on right corner) in the Bills & Income section then select Manage Online Billers. 

On the popup window that comes up, select the drop-down arrow (right side of biller) in the actions column then click Remove. See visual example below.  

Hope this helps. Please let us know if further clarification is needed. 

-Quicken Paloma

• tjones2033
    tjones2033 Member ✭✭
    Since I do not live in a house anymore, I want to delete the accounts that relate to that, such as Napervile Utilities and Nicor Gas. When I push the down arrow button below "Action" for those accounts, delete is not one of the options.
  • tjones2033
    tjones2033 Member ✭✭
    I subsequently got most of my billers deleted from that page.
This discussion has been closed.