How to revert to previous day / revert to backup?

JoanneL79
JoanneL79 Member ✭✭
I messed up my current file in an attempt to restore. I want to go back to yesterday.
How can I do that correctly?
Put another way: How can I Quit without Save today?

Best Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I don't think Quicken has a Quit Without Saving option. You should be able to find backup files in your user directory under /Library/Application Support/Quicken/Backups/Automatic Backups. I would create a new Quicken file and then select Restore From Backup from the File menu, selecting the Backup file with the appropriate date.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Quicken saves every transaction as it happens, so there is no such thing as "quit without save".

But if you're restoring from prior day's backup, then that doesn't really matter. All you need to do is quit Quicken and locate your .quickenbackup file from yesterday(post back here if you're not sure how to do that), and double-click it. It should launch Quicken and open the backed up data file. After you verify that the data is as you left it previously, you may wish to rename the file and/or move the file (the normal location is in your Library folder > Application Support > Quicken > Documents), and you may want to Trash the messed up file from today to avoid confusion.

There is the potential for data conflicts if you have been using Quicken's Sync feature to Quicken Cloud: some users have been reporting that after restoring a backup file, their data in Quicken Cloud (from their messed up file) is downloaded into the restored file, messing up their restored file. Quicken Cloud Sync is only necessary if you use the Quicken mobile app or web interface, but some people have it on by default and run into problems with it. If you're in this boat, post back and we can describe how to try to defeat this nasty loop of restoring older data and having it overwritten by newer bad data.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JoanneL79
    JoanneL79 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you very much for your help. I'm back on the right path/data file. I greatly appreciate your knowledge and support.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I don't think Quicken has a Quit Without Saving option. You should be able to find backup files in your user directory under /Library/Application Support/Quicken/Backups/Automatic Backups. I would create a new Quicken file and then select Restore From Backup from the File menu, selecting the Backup file with the appropriate date.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Quicken saves every transaction as it happens, so there is no such thing as "quit without save".

But if you're restoring from prior day's backup, then that doesn't really matter. All you need to do is quit Quicken and locate your .quickenbackup file from yesterday(post back here if you're not sure how to do that), and double-click it. It should launch Quicken and open the backed up data file. After you verify that the data is as you left it previously, you may wish to rename the file and/or move the file (the normal location is in your Library folder > Application Support > Quicken > Documents), and you may want to Trash the messed up file from today to avoid confusion.

There is the potential for data conflicts if you have been using Quicken's Sync feature to Quicken Cloud: some users have been reporting that after restoring a backup file, their data in Quicken Cloud (from their messed up file) is downloaded into the restored file, messing up their restored file. Quicken Cloud Sync is only necessary if you use the Quicken mobile app or web interface, but some people have it on by default and run into problems with it. If you're in this boat, post back and we can describe how to try to defeat this nasty loop of restoring older data and having it overwritten by newer bad data.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JoanneL79
    JoanneL79 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you very much for your help. I'm back on the right path/data file. I greatly appreciate your knowledge and support.
This discussion has been closed.