Categories are grayed out

BFol
BFol Member
When I go to edit a category, all the categories are grayed out. How can I fix this?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    What versions of Quicken and macOS are you running? Please describe exactly how you are going about trying to edit a category. Please include screenshots.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • BFol
    BFol Member
    Quicken 6.6.2 and OS 12.2.1 I have now been on the phone for 3 hours with Quicken support. I seems to be only in the Category window that the "used" categories are grayed out - including the sub categories.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I have experienced grayed out categories in one of my test files. It seems like categories I have used are grayed out and those which are unused are not. For categories which are used and gray, no subcategories are shown; for unused categories, sub-categories appear normally.

I've reported it as a bug, but of course there is no acknowledgement from Quicken, so there is no way to know if this is a known issue or if they couldn't replicate the problem and discarded it. 

I don't know what causes this, and I have no idea how or if it can be fixed.

If a Quicken moderator is reading this, it would be very helpful if you could check the bug database to see if this is documented as a known issue. If not, it means Quicken has discarded past Report a Problem submissions; how can we get this to the attention of the developers? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Here is a link to a prior thread about this issue from December. It was never responded to or solved, but a moderator closed it as if it was resolved.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7903671/categories-window-does-not-show-used-categories
  • BFol
    BFol Member
    Quicken will give me a call back. When, hopefully, I have the answer, I will post it here. The various escalation departments are all weighing in. Some have replicated our problem and others cannot. Fingers crossed!!!!
  • jacobs
    I'm always a little doubtful when they say they will call back, but I'll keep my fingers crossed as well. ;) It would help immensely if somewhere in support or development they have or can replicate this problem.
  • BFol
    BFol Member
    So, the update is that they are working on this issue. I said there were more users in the discussion that are having the same problem. Since two of the programers could replicate the grayed out categories, and still could not find a solution, we will have to wait until there is an update that fixes this problem. They seem stymied which probably is why they noted that the previous questions have been answered. I was at least pleased that a group was working on the problem and that they stuck with it for 3.5 hours! Until then we can work around it.
  • jacobs
    I don't even know how to work around it if you can't edit a category, or add/remove subcategories. 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I have an idea for a workaround but I don't have this issue, so I can't test it. Can you select the grayed out category (even though you can't open it for edit)? If so, could you create a new one with the name and subcategories you want and then merge the gray one with it?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • BFol
    BFol Member
    You can add a new category but as soon as you use it it grays out. Any 'used' category becomes gray and one cannot see any subcategories if they are "used". However, all categories can be selected in the dropdown menu within registers. They can also be used in reports.
This discussion has been closed.