Net Worth Report is showing inaccurate balances

BrianK
BrianK Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I am running Quicken for Windows Version 39.21. After the upgrade I noticed that the new worth reports were showing inaccurate balances for some accounts and the correct balances for others. The specific account that has a problem has a zero balance, yet Quicken shows it to have a $54,000 balance. I have traced this back to 3/15/2012 where the balances start to become inaccurate. I have created a net worth report from scratch. I have tried deleting entries. I have restarted my computer. I have brought in a backup. Still no luck, inaccurate balances remain.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BrianK
    Thanks for starting a new discussion for your issue.

The $54,000 incorrect balance is just in the Net Worth report and not in the account's register, right? Is it also wrong in the Account Balances report?

What type of account is showing the problem? Banking? Investing?

If you look at the problem account for 3/15/2012 when the problem first occurs, is there an unusual transaction or a transaction for that amount on that date or nearby?

If there is a transfer between accounts on that date, look at the other side of the transfer and make sure it shows the same amount. 

Please let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription
  • BrianK
    BrianK Member ✭✭
    The accounts register shows a zero balance. The list to the left shows the balance as zero. The account balances report shows it to be incorrect and $54,000. Nothing is going on at 3/15/2012, and the balance only starts to get off at that point. I have not investigated what happens at later dates. There is a paycheck deposited on that date. The problem account is a bank account. There are other bank accounts, later than 3/15/2012, that have had paychecks deposited to them and their balances are correct. These accounts with the paychecks being deposited to them are also not zero balance accounts. There are no transfers near this date.
  • Jim_Harman
    Does the paycheck deposited on 3/15/2012 have any splits in it that are transferred to other accounts, or is it supposed to have splits that are not there?
  • BrianK
    BrianK Member ✭✭
    The paycheck does not have splits that are transfered to other accounts. It only shows the net amount of the check. The taxes section is all zeros. I never set any of that up, so it should be zeros.
  • Jim_Harman
    Hmmm. When you open the paycheck, does it show the special Paycheck window titled "Edit current Paycheck" or does it look like an ordinary split transaction?

If it is the Paycheck window, is the Net Pay at the bottom equal to the amount shown in the register?

• BrianK
    BrianK Member ✭✭
    Yes it is the special paycheck window. The net pay is not equal to the amount shown in the register. I did not notice that until now when you mentioned it.
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, so you are experiencing the same issue we have been discussing here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909601/r39-17-r39-21-paycheck-corruption-edited

Is the difference between the net pay and the register the same $54,000?
  • BrianK
    BrianK Member ✭✭
    I don't know, it could be. I have not added it up.
  • BrianK
    BrianK Member ✭✭
    When did this update happen? How can I tell how far back I must go?
  • Jim_Harman
    The update was earlier this week. See this Alert.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909861/new-3-10-22-paycheck-wizard-issue-after-updating-to-r39-17-r39-21#latest

You need to restore a backup from before you installed R39.xx
  • BrianK
    BrianK Member ✭✭
    Just an FYI ... I noticed on my investments that the rate of return that is calculated by the investment report was different than it had been, going back to 1992. This is in a separate quicken file than the file that had the paycheck issue. There are no paychecks deposited to any account in the quicken file. So, whatever broke on the paycheck deal may be causing problems on the investment side, too. I have revereted to the older version. I have restored my old backup and there are no longer any issues. I am getting ready to restore an older back up of this investment file, too.
This discussion has been closed.