Anyone having issues downloading bank files with R39.23?

MGW
MGW Member ✭✭
I just updated to R39.23 and downloads are diverted to Windows Download file as a Quicken OFX data file. Quicken does not get updated. I've tried 2 banks, same result.
Tagged:

Answers

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Sounds like you should uninstall and reinstall to repair file associations 

• Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @miklk said:
    > Sounds like you should uninstall and reinstall to repair file associations 

Reinstall what? I have this same problem that just started with the R39.23 update. Happens on different financial websites and with 3 different browsers. Windows file associations default to Quicken for .qfx files as they should. When I open the downloaded .qfx file it does automatically open Quicken.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Lhaff4870 said:
    > @miklk said:
    > Sounds like you should uninstall and reinstall to repair file associations 

Reinstall what? I have this same problem that just started with the R39.23 update. Happens on different financial websites and with 3 different browsers. Windows file associations default to Quicken for .qfx files as they should. When I open the downloaded .qfx file it does automatically open Quicken.
    Hello @Lhaff4870,    

I am sorry to hear about this issue with downloads. Thank you for discussing this problem with us on the Quicken Community.

I believe @miklk was speaking of uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken software. You can find instructions on this just below:

Windows 10

1. Click the Start button and select the Control PanelIn Windows 10, the Control Panel is located in the Windows System folder in the Start menu.
    2. Under Programs, click on Uninstall a Program.
    3. Find Quicken in the list of programs. They are alphabetically ordered. Highlight it by clicking on it once.
    4. Click on Uninstall at the top of the list and follow through the prompts until the program is removed.
    OR

Windows 8

1. Click the Start button and select Control Panel.
    2. Under Programs, click the Uninstall a program link  The Uninstall or change a program window opens.
    3. In the list of programs, select your version of Quicken and click the Uninstall/Change button.
    4. If asked for your Administrator password, enter it and follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall Quicken.
    I hope that is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @Lhaff4870,    
    >
    > I believe @miklk was speaking of uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken software. You can find instructions on this just below:Windows 10
    >

OK I uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken against my better judgement, and of course it changed nothing. The problem is with the R39.23 update.
  • Quicken Jared
    Lhaff4870 said:
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @Lhaff4870,    
    >
    > I believe @miklk was speaking of uninstalling and reinstalling the Quicken software. You can find instructions on this just below:Windows 10
    >

OK I uninstalled and reinstalled Quicken against my better judgement, and of course it changed nothing. The problem is with the R39.23 update.
    Hello @Lhaff4870,       

I am sorry that problem remains unresolved. Thank you for continuing to update me on the situation. 

How often do you save backups? Would it be possible to restore from a backup saved just prior to when you recall the update being installed? For reference, it is always possible to save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Similarly, a backup can be restored from by going from File > Restore a Backup File in the aforementioned menu.

I am eager to hear about the results of attempting this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • MGW
    MGW Member ✭✭
    I would think there would be a function to reverse the latest installed Release and revert to the prior one installed until the latest release is fixed.
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello @Lhaff4870,
    > How often do you save backups? Would it be possible to restore from a backup saved just prior to when you recall the update being installed?

I save a backup every time I close Quicken. I restored the backup that was created automatically by Quicken when I updated from R38.30 to R39.23 and again, no change. However, I just discovered that there were two updates (R39.17 and R39.21) which were not released to me, so I don't know which one of the three updates actually created the problem but it's obvious to me that one of them did. It would be nice if we had the ability to download a previous version for troubleshooting purposes.
  • Quicken Jared
    @Lhaff4870

I am sorry to hear that the issue is still continuing. Thanks again for bringing us further updates regarding the situation.

Are you able to confirm where the current active data file is located? This can be checked by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Be sure that the data file is not being housed in an external hard drive or in a cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic program behavior.

I look forward to your reply.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > @Lhaff4870
    > Are you able to confirm where the current active data file is located?
    > Quicken Jared 

It's located in C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Quicken.
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Because of so many download issues over time, I've discontinued any downloads EXCEPT the manual ones I make with the WEB CONNECT method, and have eliminated all the download issues I used to have. I also have SYNC TURNED OFF PREMANENTLY. Good luck. I'm at  R39.23
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @TTSguy said:
    > Because of so many download issues over time, I've discontinued any downloads EXCEPT the manual ones I make with the WEB CONNECT method, and have eliminated all the download issues I used to have. I also have SYNC TURNED OFF PREMANENTLY. Good luck. I'm at R39.23
    Only function used is register function and reports. NO, other Quicken functions or Sync being used.

Ditto, I'm with you. I quit trying to use One Step Update a long time ago. Sync is on but I don't pay any attention to it. I also use Web Connect, and it used to open Quicken automatically, but no more. Now it just downloads the .qfx file to my PC and I have to open it manually.

One more thing: I went to Quicken Support and tried to open a Chat session and found that the Chat button does nothing. [Removed - Speculation/Inaccurate]
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    My apologies for venting my frustrations on the Community website. I do appreciate the help received here and I will try to follow the guidelines going forward.
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    Anyone have any more ideas on this R39.23 issue? Is it being looked at by the software developers?
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Your guess is as good as anyone's!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I suspect you are using Firefox to download the QFX files.  If so, Mozilla has decided to go with the Chrome download model.  Basically, documents opened by the browser used to be downloaded into a folder within the user's hidden AppData folder and deleted when the Firefox session closed.  Now, all documents are placed in the specified download folder and are not automatically deleted but we are able to delete the downloaded documents from within the browser.

See: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/98.0/releasenotes/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Lhaff4870 said:

One more thing: I went to Quicken Support and tried to open a Chat session and found that the Chat button does nothing.
    Your browser's security such as the built-in pop-up blocker or some extension is blocking access to the chat session.  This is a very common security practice in some browsers, especially Firefox (I can easily reproduce this).  So either turn off the popup blocker or the extension, reduce the security level or use another browser - I use the basic vanilla Microsoft Edge for such occasions.  Hope this helps.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suspect you are using Firefox to download the QFX files.
    The same issue exists on Firefox, Chrome and MS Edge, and it started immediately after the R39.23 update.
    > @BK said:
    > Your browser's security such as the built-in pop-up blocker or some extension is blocking access to the chat session. So either turn off the popup blocker or the extension.
    Again, all 3 browsers. Pretty sure I tuned off the pop-up blocker too, but I can't check now because Chat is off. I'll try again tomorrow.
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    > @Sherlock said:
    > I suspect you are using Firefox to download the QFX files.
    The same issue exists on Firefox, Chrome and MS Edge, and it started immediately after the R39.23 update.

> @BK said:
    > Your browser's security such as the built-in pop-up blocker or some extension is blocking access to the chat session.  So either turn off the popup blocker or the extension.

Again, all 3 browsers. I think I turned off the pop-up blocker too, but I can't verify that now because Chat is off. I'll try again tomorrow.

Thank you both for your input.
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    > @BK said:
    > Your browser's security such as the built-in pop-up blocker or some extension is blocking access to the chat session. So either turn off the popup blocker or the extension.

You are correct. I had to disable both Adblock Plus and Malwarebytes Browser Guard for it to work. Good catch! Thanks again.
  • Lhaff4870
    Lhaff4870 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    R39.23 PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!
    > @Sherlock said:
    > See: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/98.0/releasenotes/
    You nailed it, Sherlock! In the browser download panel, right click on the .qfx file and select "Always open similar files" or "Always open files of this type", depending on which browser is being used, and the download will open Quicken by default going forward. I have no idea why all 3 of my browsers were affected all of a sudden, but it doesn't matter now.

A HUGE thank you to all of you for offering your advice/solutions for this issue and my apologies for being so hardheaded.
This discussion has been closed.