Renaming Quicken Data File (.qdF)

Options
kingjck
kingjck Member ✭✭
I run quicken version R39.23 on a laptop with Windows 10 OS. There are two Quicken directories on the C drive: Quicken and Quicken Data. I manually backup my qdf file every day. Then I usually delete backups once a month. Sometime in the past when restoring from a backup my quicken data file named QuickenData.qdf was renamed QuickenData-12-20-21,qdf and copies with various dates are stored in Quicken or Quicken Data folders. To clean things up I would like to rename my primary Quicken file back to original QuickenData.qdf and store it in the proper location, probably either Quicken or Quicken Data folder. What is safest way to rename the file and where should my working version be stored?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Renaming/moving Quicken data files is done with the Windows File Explorer (with Quicken not running).  You treat them like any other file, there isn’t anything special about the process.

As for where your working data file should be stored.  It shouldn’t be one a network drive or in a “cloud sync folder” like OneDrive or Dropbox.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my Quicken 2013 it has File-Save As where you can save it with another name and location.   And also File - File Operations - Copy.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    volvogirl said:
    In my Quicken 2013 it has File-Save As where you can save it with another name and location.   And also File - File Operations - Copy.
    Save As has been removed from Quicken Subscription, and Copy will create a copy that has the online services disabled, and will have a different file unique Id, so that it is completely separated from the original Quicken Cloud dataset.

As such Windows File Explore is the way to go now for renaming and moving Quicken data files.
    Signature:
  • kingjck
    kingjck Member ✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW,

Thanks for your response. If I decide to change the name I will do it as you suggest with Windows File Explorer. Does changing the datafile name affect registering a datafile for transaction download or Bill Pay? If so, I would have to re-register. If that is the case, I would probably have to verify again. Thanks again for your help.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kingjck said:
    Chris_QPW,

Thanks for your response. If I decide to change the name I will do it as you suggest with Windows File Explorer. Does changing the datafile name affect registering a datafile for transaction download or Bill Pay? If so, I would have to re-register. If that is the case, I would probably have to verify again. Thanks again for your help.
    No, it shouldn't affect any of those things.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.