Updates past 27.1.32 will cause Quicken to crash on startup

Mike650101
Mike650101 Member ✭✭
I have a very difficult scenario in that I cannot update Quicken beyond 27.1.32. When I do this, the update process works fine, but when I try to open Quicken, it simply shuts down...no error message, no warnings, nothing. I can see crash data in the EventLog, but not much help there.

I've contacted support, but they seem limited in what they've suggested. I've tried many, many things, including a complete re-install. In 27.1.32, I can validate my existing file with 0 errors. I've installed Quicken on a different machine where I'm able to suspend the firewall and anti-virus, but the issue persists. So it appears to be something with my file but given that it validates successfully with no errors I'm not sure how to track it down.

I am in need of serious engineering support I think to further troubleshoot my file (which is approx. 170 MB and goes back to early 2000's I think).

Couple questions:

* Has anyone had a need of deep technical support such as this? Is it possible to get just by calling the phone #? The chats I've had have been unproductive...the agents seem very willing to help, but limited in what can be done via chat/screenshare.

* If all else fails and ultimately I cannot use my existing QDF file, are there any alternatives to rebuilding a new file from the old file? I've been experimenting with exporting QIF and QDX files from 27.1.32, and then installing the latest and importing. This has given mixed results. The QDF import seems to have been unable to import any of my investment accounts, although on all other accounts the balances look to be correct. QIF did not work very well at all.

* Would anyone be able to suggest another method to try to get this resolved? I'd really hate to lose all that history. Ultimately, I can stay on 27.1.32 for the time being, but I'm starting to get incompatibilities with txn downloads, and some no longer work at all (e.g., Chase). This was expected, since I've been getting warnings for a while that the latest update is needed to properly download, so that's what prompted me to attempt the update to latest again.

Kind of a nightmare scenario, have spent the whole weekend trying to resolve, so I'd appreciate any help, suggestions, etc.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried starting Quicken by holding down the Control when clicking the Quicken icon? Quicken should start without opening a data file. Can you create a new data file? If Quicken starts without opening a data file, can you then open your existing data file? Last shot, have you tried starting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Mike650101
    Mike650101 Member ✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek thanks for the quick response. I tried your suggestions, 1) Opens without data file ok 2) can create a new data file ok 3) opening existing file fails 4) starting in Safe Mode with a clean install does not resolve the issue either. Thanks again for your help.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would next suggest making a copy of your data file and trying to open it.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you follow the Copy and Validate instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

If the issue persists, try applying the special Validate: press the Ctrl key and select File > Validate and Repair File...

If the issue still persists, 
    try applying the Super Validate: press the Ctrl + Shift keys and select File > Validate and Repair File...

If all this fails, I suggest exporting the data from the old Quicken file and importing the data into a new Quicken file.  You may want to review: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html

• Mike650101
    Mike650101 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Thanks @Sherlock for those suggestions. Unfortunately I'm still at square one. I ran all validations with no errors reported, the file still won't open in the latest version. I also copied those files to new ones, which worked fine, but the issue persists on the copies as well. I may have to bite the bullet and contact support again and see if I can get it escalated.
  • Mike650101
    Mike650101 Member ✭✭
    Ultimately what I ended up doing was to use R27.1.32 to Export to a QXF file. Only drawback here is that Investment accounts don't come along for the ride. But that was ok since the QXF import into the latest version worked just fine for my bank and credit card accounts, and then I just set up my investment accounts again by connecting to my brokerage accounts and downloading.
This discussion has been closed.