All account balances completely messed up today - discrepancy going back years

2»

Comments

• edlasseter
    edlasseter Member ✭✭
    I may have been too optimistic with my Jan 4 post that my problem with random posting errors had been solved by turning off the Quicken Cloud sync function. This morning when I downloaded transactions, one of my accounts (a Visa credit card) would not reconcile because a transaction in Aug. 2020 was not cleared. That transaction had been reconciled in August of 2020 and had stayed that way until this morning. Based on the date of the first post in this thread by Timothevs and comments by others who have posted, the problems described all appear to have arisen after each poster installed the 6.5.0 or 6.5.1 updates. Quicken needs to fix whatever it is with these updates that's causing these random download issues. I really do not want to return to the bad old days of earlier versions of Quicken where all transactions had to be entered manually.

One thing that is troubling is how many problems like this have occurred. If you type "transactions downloading to wrong accounts" in the search window for the Community, you'll find 10 separate threads.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @edlasseter Not to discourage you, but I have yet to see a Quicken moderator acknowledge this problem, nor state that it is a known issue which is being investigated or slated for a future fix. when you say "Quicken needs to fix" the problem, I think the problem is that they don't know or haven't isolated that there is a problem. I'm not suggesting that there isn't, but without logs and enough detailed information from users to establish what's going wrong, this may be floating beneath the development team's radar. I hope I'm wrong.

If any moderator reading this can comment on whether there is any bug report being tracked about transactions downloading to wrong accounts and/or changing the reconciled state or date of old transactions (which people have also been reporting in this forum), it would be appreciated.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • caldivergirl
    caldivergirl Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @jacobs I too doubt that these errors have been logged and are being addressed. I spoke to support twice. Once I was told it was happening because I had tried to move categories under a new category - not supported for Quicken MAC even though nothing prevents doing that. Second time I was told it was because my file goes back to 2008. Further tests showed these were not the causes. It occurs using the automatic update and never occurred before the latest upgrade, to 6.5.1. I have reported the issue but have not received any acknowledgment. For now I will manually post transactions, and plan to migrate back to Windows as soon as I get my new computer set up. I thought Quicken support for MAC was up to the standard of Windows by now, but many features are lacking, such as hiding categories, [Edit-Speculation]. I only migrated to MAC because my PC died in August. I would like to hear that there is some attention from Quicken to these problems.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2022
    I spoke to support twice. Once I was told it was happening because I had tried to move categories under a new category - not supported for Quicken MAC even though nothing prevents doing that. 
    Well, unfortunately that tells me you had a Support representative who doesn't know Quicken Mac well enough. This has been a designed feature in Quicken Mac since the program began. And it's covered in the program's internal Help. ("Drag and drop one category into another to make it a subcategory. Drag and drop a subcategory out of a category to make it a top-level category.")

Second time I was told it was because my file goes back to 2008.
    That's preposterous, [Edit-Speculation]. Many of us here in the forum have data files which date back a decade or more before yours in 2008. There is no age cut-off date, nor number of transactions, which cause Quicken Mac not to function.

MODERATORS: It would be great if one of you could look up @caldivergirl's QuickenID or email to track down these two support calls in their logs, and pass them to a support supervisor for better training for these two support representatives. Thanks. Additionally, as I asked yesterday, it would be helpful if a moderator reading this thread can comment on whether there is or is not any bug report being tracked about transactions downloading to wrong accounts and/or changing the reconciled state or date of old transactions (which people have also been reporting in this forum), it would be appreciated.

I too doubt that these errors have been logged and are being addressed. It occurs using the automatic update and never occurred before the latest upgrade, to 6.5.1. I have reported the issue but have not received any acknowledgment.
    Well, now we get into the mess of problem reporting, investigation and fixes. The "Report a Problem" feature is good to an extent, but as it states, you get no reply to submissions there (because they don't have the staff hours to reply to every submissions, which would often turn into a full-fledged support case requiring back and forth communications). I believe that many users report problem descriptions which are too vague or incomplete for the representative at Quicken to perform a test and document if there's a bug, and those reports are simply discarded. (I'd love to see some examples of problem submissions; I imagine some are just rants that the program doesn't work, while others are similar to posts we see on this forum which leave you scratching your head trying to understand what the user is even talking about. ;) )

But the problem in a case like yours is that tracking down what made a previously-reconciled transaction become unreconciled after an update and/or download would require a lot of digging unless there are many, many reports of the same issue and the developers can quickly locate a cause. They'd likely need the pre-backup copy of your data file and the post-backup file, or at least a screen shot of the affect transaction(s), so they could test it; if the problem is triggered by a download, it's even harder for them to treat, since you obviously wouldn't give them credentials to your bank account. So unfortunately, when you report this problem, the representative at Quicken looks at it and most likely concludes they cannot reproduce it, and if that's the case, they generally can't file a bug report to the development team.

Again, many reports of a similar problem can prompt action, but one or two reports of problems which neither they nor you can reproduce on demand are pretty difficult to give to an engineer to say "go fix it." That doesn't mean they don't care or ignore what users report, but if the programmers can't actually see what's happening, they often can't dive in to seek a culprit in the code. In software development and testing, sporadic problems are the most frustrating and difficult to deal with. And often, they aren't — at least until there's a larger body of evidence to lead them to the cause. While this is unsatisfactory to users who want to know the issue has been found and fixed, it's often the practical reality. (I don't work for Quicken and never have, but I've been involved with software development and beta testing software for many years.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • john2018
    john2018 Member ✭✭✭
    I had the same issue with 6.5.1. My path to success after 4+ hours with tech support was them resetting something in the cloud deeper than what we can do from the application. See "Downloads and Cloud Issue - MacOS 12.0.1 Qv 6.5.1" Good Luck. John
  • caldivergirl
    caldivergirl Member ✭✭
    Just checking back here after giving up and manually entering transactions until I could migrate Quicken back to my new PC. Thanks for the feedback on moving categories and file size. Those explanations did not make sense to me either. @john2018: interesting. That solution sounds likely. Some have reported this issue but apparently not enough. I had hoped maybe it would be fixed in the next patch. But for now, I think I'll have more confidence to go back to Windows that was always supported better than Mac. Clearly Quicken support is understaffed and undertrained and poorly managed. I don't have time to take my chances with a long wait to be answered on a support call and hope that I reach someone who knows and can fix this issue.
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    It is quite disheartening to see that this issue is still prevalent. I had hoped that with all the bug reports I submitted, and with so many others facing the same problem, that this bug would've been squashed… but alas.

I guess the wait to update continues. 6.4.5 is roaring along quite nicely.
  • MintUserNew
    MintUserNew Member ✭✭✭
    Back several years ago (before pandemic), I learned to turn off cloud sync. I though had this problem come up a few weeks ago, when I restored a backup. I think the restoration did something with cloud sync. Anyhows, I resolved it by comparing opening balances (which go back to 2008) and that seems to have fixed the issue, once I saw the opening balances were off.
  • The Other Bill
    The Other Bill Member ✭✭
    edited January 2022
    This bug hit me today on version 6.5 and quicken totally soiled itself. After several hours of failed restores, cloud syncing and resyncing, my data file was beyond repair. I was finally able to get back up and running by doing the following:

1 - Rename Quicken app to something like quicken_bad.app
    2 - Go into trash and restore version 6.4.5 (you can also go back to time machine and restore the app)
    3 - Open the 6.4.5 version and tell it to create new file (don't setup any accounts)
    4 - Restore from backup file the last version prior to the 6.5 upgrade (mine was labeled pre-update)
    5 - Create a new cloud account as prompted
    6 - Setup your quicken connections to your financial institutions again (mine took several attempts)

At this point my problem was solved and everything back to normal. [Removed - Rant/Disruptive]
  • Gsut
    Gsut Member ✭✭
    Following this thread because I'm having the exact same issue--FYI, the latest version Quicken Mac 6.5.3 does NOT fix this issue!
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    Thank you, @Gsut, I logged in just to check whether it did. On 6.4.5 I remain. Seriously, what a shame. I have submitted so many bug reports, and screenshots, etc. Is anyone at Quicken even listening?
  • Gsut
    Gsut Member ✭✭
    *Update*--I was able to get this issue fixed by calling Quicken Help--see my post on the separate thread "Downloads and Cloud Issue - MacOS 12.0.1 Qv 6.5.1".
    I would recommend calling Quicken help and have them lead you through the steps (in my post, I wrote what we did, but there are likely details missing as I didn't write every "click" down--I just wrote the gist of what the fix entailed).
    Hope this helps!
  • Stcks
    Stcks Member
    Same problem here getting 10 years of data all mixed up. account go from $10 to 35,000
  • SteveF9608
    SteveF9608 Member ✭✭
    Similar issues with my app although not as bad YET (6.5.3). I have random transactions being shown as modified(column turned on) but not sure what was modified. Some are very apparent because one transaction was deleted and the check# assigned to another transaction. Another one had the date changed by a couple of months. Also the modifications don't transfer across the accounts. For instance a transfer from savings showed the original date(2016) but the date in checking shows modified yesterday. I discovered this when reconciling and had a big discrepancy, previously no discrepancies, clicked the history button in the reconcile window and surprised to see that it showed where the discrepancy was in a previous good reconcile. I have turned off the cloud sync and then was asked to verify accounts like when downloading transactions. If the random BS continues, I guess it will be manual ONLY until Quicken can GUARANTEE that the BUG is fixed.
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just adding another voice in case a moderator from Quicken happens to read this. This is still happening in the latest Quicken Mac and has destroyed decades of records.

I have many transactions that were fine before the 6.5 update and are not now. These appear to be all transfers from one account to another.

They were fine and reconciled and now they show as a transfer in one account and in the other end of the transfer they are either not there at all or they show as an interest deposit transaction. The date of the transaction has change from (for example on one) 01/27/2022 to 04/10/2021 which is before the opening date of the given account.

I can even view all 20,000 transactions in my Quicken file and clearly see 99% of transfer appear in matching pairs with a negative dollar value before a matching transaction with a positive value…except for a handful that were fine and now no longer have a matching transaction, or the matching one has moved about 18 months into the past.

This is Quicken Mac of course and latest version on macOS 12.1.

I’ve moved to a month or two old backup and things look OK till I do a download and then everything breaks again and don’t have older backups unless NO way to fix as it will be a disaster to get back in sync with all the missing transactions if I go back more than what can download.

I'll try the steps in "Downloads and Cloud Issue - MacOS 12.0.1 Qv 6.5.1" and see if that helps. And I'll report an issue to support. Quicken moderators, please be sure the developers have a bug for this and contact me if you need LOTS of backups showing the issue.
    -Jay
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @JayBugs , I hope you are able to address/fix your data. I've stayed on 6.4.5, but I see 6.6 is out. Nowhere does it mention that the bugs have been fixed, or addressed. [Edit-Speculation].
  • vcwine
    vcwine Member
    Same problem here. For the last few months Quicken has been jumbling my account balances so drastically that I simply stopped updating. Now with tax preparation I find that most of the categories that I selected for transactions last year were also changed, making it impossible to create any usable reports for tax purposes. I've tried many of the fixes suggested with limited results. My new process, going forward, is to simply check my accounts online myself and manually update Quicken. At least this way I'll have some usable data for next years tax preparation.
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    After turning off the Quicken cloud sync (so mobile and web) I have been able to update my accounts and get the past few months back in balance after many hours of work.

So far, as long as mobile and web sync is off, it seems OK and I can update accounts by automatic downloads just not syncing to mobile and web.

It really does seem to be something they broke as backup files were fine until they sync with the Quicken cloud and then all kinds of broken transfers and extra transactions appear.

If someone who has been having this issue tries out version 6.6 and can turn mobile and web syncing back on without it messing up your data file please report that. (Just because Quicken doesn’t mention a fix doesn’t mean they didn’t intentionally or unintentionally fix it. They don’t list every single bug fix they do in the release notes.)
    -Jay
  • mrdadd
    mrdadd Member
    I have been using Quicken since 1994 and found it to be wonderful (I of course skipped by the useless Quicken Essentials). Suddenly in November extra logins started showing up. There are now 6 of them but I am trying to stay on the "original." One thing they all have in common is that all of the data is garbage but different versions of useless garbage. Quicken was promising a fix for this and for a few hours I thought 6.6 was it as I noticed that some of the balances were similar to my bank & investment numbers but this "feature" quickly ended. I had always relied on Quicken for preparing my taxes but I have no idea how I will do it this year. My wife wants me to hire an accountant but I have to explain to her that they can't work with garbage numbers any better than I can. I am not good at paper record keeping but Quicken had always been great, even at fixing the rare problem but they don't seem to have a clue now.
  • BigJazzBoi
    BigJazzBoi Member
    Same thing happened here. Wow that was annoying. My transactions were even marked as reconciled. The software should treat that status as sacred and as a de facto "do not touch" status.
  • Timothevs
    Timothevs Member ✭✭
    So I switched off Sync as per recommendations above. Then I took a backup of the Quicken budget file, and upgraded from 6.4.5 to 6.6.

So far so good. I have downloaded transactions twice now, and everything is still correct. I will give it a couple more days before celebrating I guess.
  • BatchelderFinances
    BatchelderFinances Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    6.6.1 appears to fix the problem. Thanks, Quicken!
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone else who has had this issue with old transactions changing and transfers breaking when Quicken Cloud sync is On please confirm whether Quicken Mac version 6.6.1 clearly fixes their issues?
    -Jay
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone else who has had this issue with old transactions changing and transfers breaking when Quicken Cloud sync is On please confirm whether Quicken Mac version 6.6.2 clearly fixes their issues? Is anyone still having this happen to them and corrupt their data file when Quicken Cloud sync is On?
    -Jay
This discussion has been closed.