Amex One-time Re-authentication Key

dsturm
dsturm Member ✭✭
In Quicken, everytime I perform one-step update, I'm required to provide a one-time Re-authentication key. The 6-digit key is sent to my email. Even though the Amex email says it's a one-time key, the Quicken one-step update triggers the process every time.

Is there a way to enter the Amex key somewhere in Quicken so I don't have to go thru this process every time?

The text of the email that is sent is:

03/15/2022
Your Account Number Ending: -7****

Dear Dav**********,
As you requested, we're writing to provide you the one-time Re-authentication Key you need to access your American Express online account. Please enter the Re-authentication Key below in the appropriate field on the browser page where we confirmed sending this email to you. If you have closed your browser, you will be prompted to enter this Re-authentication Key the next time you log into your American Express online account. This will not change the existing password you use to access your American Express online account.

Your Re-authentication Key:

[Removed - Privacy]

The security of your account is important to us. If you did not make this request, please call us at 1-800-AXP-1234.

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Service

Comments

• dsturm
    dsturm Member ✭✭
    I just now rechecked the problem and, for now, it appears the problem has somehow gone away. I don't know what I did, but there is no problem now.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that this is something you would normally have to resolve while logging on to your AmEx account using a browser, not Quicken.
    And if it really is something that comes up during OSU in Quicken, then you should have the necessary sequence of prompting dialogs (one to ask about where to send key: text or email, a second one to enter the response). Are you saying that you do not get these dialogs?
  • jsnbrlo
    jsnbrlo Member
    I'm still having this issue. As best I can tell, AMEX rolled out Multi-Factor Authentication for first time sign-ins on each device a few weeks back. When using the AMEX site, you only have to go through the process 1 time and you have the option to save your device in your cardmember profile.

Unfortunately, when you sync transactions in the Quicken Subscription App, it prompts you to go through the MFA process WITHOUT the option to save the "device." ...so you have to get the text or email code EVERY TIME you sync your transactions. What a pain! It seems to me like Quicken/AMEX could work out a solution where AMEX recognizes the IP address of the Quicken sync servers? Ahh!

Any other ideas on how to solve?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
This discussion has been closed.